Featuring video with Father Michael J. Himes, faculty, Boston College Department of Theology
Our spirituality affects our total outlook on life and every aspect of daily living. What is spirituality? What is at the heart of prayer? Do we need community? What can suffering teach us? Join other adults in discussing these important questions and share best spiritual practices.
Check the course schedule for future offerings of this course.
This course includes:
- Weekly introductions to each new topics
- 4 videos featuring Father Michael J. Himes for each week of the course: spirituality, prayer, suffering, community
- New feature! Text transcripts of each featured video
- A bonus video featuring Father Michael J. Himes
- Weekly questions for reflection and discussion
- A page of further resources about topics discussed in this course
- A "town meeting" forum where participants can meet and socialize.
- Those who actively participate receive a certificate of active participation for the course.
All C21 Online courses and workshops include these features:
- Participants have access 24 hours/7 days a week to the course's password protected web site.
- Each participant belongs to a small community for conversation and faith sharing guided by a facilitator.
- Site is open to participants at least one week before and one week after the course.
- An orientation in how to navigate the web site is always available.
- Technical assistance is easy to contact and prompt in returning a message.
Week 1:What is Spirituality?
Week 2: What is Prayer?
Week 3: What Can Suffering Teach Us?
Week 4: Do I Need Community?
Additional Materials Needed
Dolores R. Leckey. 7 Essentials for the Spiritual Journey (Crossroad, 1999).
A participant can expect to spend an average of 2-3 hours each week. This commitment includes both the assigned viewing and interaction online.
Content Scholars: Father Michael J. Himes
The readings and the faith journeys of the other participants helped to reinforce my own personal faith. The entire online course has honestly motivated me to spend more time in centering prayer. I have also begun to read other resources to help me remain mindful and centered on God throughout the day. Thank you for offering this practical course.
Thank you for providing your on-line classes. I live in a rural area and seldom have an opportunity to take a class that supports my faith. This is a wonderful ministry. You have touched many people -- not only the participants, but also the people whose lives they touch!
The quality of the articles made available was excellent. I do want to go back and re-read many of them and reflect. I thought the discussion was well facilitated and the participants were very respectful especially in light of some potentially controversial topics.