This workshop provides guided discussion around the Spring 2009 issue of C21 Resources, a free publication of Boston College's Church in the 21st Century Center. This issue, entitled “Catholic Spirituality in Practice,” edited by Boston College School of Theology and Ministry faculty member Dr. Colleen Griffith, contains over 20 short, informative articles centered on various spiritual practices such as retreats, the examen, praying with images, which are mostly reprinted from a variety of journals such as America, Religion East & West, and Weavings. Issue available online here.
Check the course schedule for future offerings of this course.
This workshop includes:
- Reading 12 brief one or two page articles by various authors
- Weekly questions for reflection and discussion
- A weekly introduction and study guide
- A resource page to use for further study
- A "town meeting" forum where participants can meet and socialize
- Those who actively participate receive a certificate of active participation for the workshop
All C21 Online courses and workshops include these features:
- Participants have access 24 hours/7 days a week to the course's password protected web site.
- Each participant belongs to a small community for conversation and faith sharing guided by a facilitator.
- Site is open to participants at least one week before and one week after the course.
- An orientation in how to navigate the web site is always available.
- Technical assistance is easy to contact and prompt in returning a message.
Week 1: Spirituality in Practice, Part 1:
* The Ignatian Examen
* Intercessory Prayer
* Praying with Images
* Living the Sacramental Principle
* Eucharistic Adoration
* Practicing Hospitality
Week 2: Spirituality in Practice, Part 2:
* Liturgy of the Hours
* Family Life as Spiritual Practice
* Practicing Forgiveness
* Centering Prayer
Additional Materials Needed
Everything you need for this workshop is provided on the course web site.
A participant can expect to spend an average of approximately 4 hours each week. This commitment includes both the assigned reading and interaction online.
Content Scholar: Various, under the editorship of Dr. Colleen Griffith
The readings and the faith journeys of the other participants helped to reinforce my own personal faith. The entire online course has honestly motivated me to spend more time in centering prayer. I have also begun to read other resources to help me remain mindful and centered on God throughout the day. Thank you for offering this practical course.
Thank you for providing your on-line classes. I live in a rural area and seldom have an opportunity to take a class that supports my faith. This is a wonderful ministry. You have touched many people -- not only the participants, but also the people whose lives they touch!