Gospel of Mark
Featuring video with Fr. Michael Himes, Boston College Professor of Theology, and articles by Philip A. Cunningham, Professor, Department of Theology and Religion, St. Joseph’s University
Let the Scriptures enrich your spiritual life! In this workshop you will explore the Gospel of Mark. In the first week, an article by Dr. Philip A. Cunningham will help participants gain an overview of the gospel's features, learn about its setting, the evangelist who wrote it, and the community for which it was written. In the second week, a video featuring Fr. Michael Himes will focus on key insights. No previous experience in Scripture study is necessary.
This workshop format was designed for those who requested a two week format to explore the Scripture -- taking a gospel at a time. The course material and videos are the same as used in the 6-week course, Encountering Mark, Matthew & Luke: The Synoptic Gospels.
Check the course schedule for future offerings of this course.
This workshop includes:
• A guide for reading the Gospel of Mark by Dr. Philip A. Cunningham
• A study guide each week to help "unpack" the assignments
• A bonus article on the writing of the gospels
• A video presentation by Michael J. Himes
• Weekly questions for reflection and discussion
• A"town meeting" forum where you can meet other participants and socialize.
• Those who actively participate receive a certificate of active participation for the workshop
All C21 Online courses and workshops include these features:
• Participants have access 24 hours/7 days a week to the course's password protected web site.
• Each participant belongs to a small community for conversation and faith sharing guided by a facilitator.
• Site is open to participants at least one week before and one week after the course.
• An orientation in how to navigate the web site is always available.
• Technical assistance is easy to contact and prompt in returning a message.
Bonus! Introductory article: The Writing of the Gospels
Week 1: The Suffering Son of Man: Mark's Portrait of Jesus
Week 2: A Closer Reflection on Key Themes in Mark
Additional Materials Needed
Although there will be a Bible available on line, you may wish to have a Bible available in hard copy also.
A participant can expect to spend an average of approximately 4 hours each week. This commitment includes both the assigned reading and interaction online.
Content Scholars: Fr. Michael J. Himes (video) and Dr. Philip A. Cunningham (text)
Facilitator: Roland Guilbault