Jesus Foretold and Fulfilled
Featuring video with Daniel Harrington, S.J., Boston College School of Theology and Ministry Professor of New Testament
Explore the Scriptures of Advent and Christmas for a richer celebration of these seasons. In this workshop you will have the opportunity to break open the Church’s weekday readings for Advent, with emphasis on the dynamic of promise and fulfillment between the Old and New Testament readings as they are organized in the Lectionary. Then, take a closer look at the infancy narratives, and the distinctive approaches taken by the Evangelists. In addition, there will be recommendations for personal prayer practices in preparation for Christmas. No prior experience in Scripture study is necessary.
Check the course schedule for future offerings of this course.
This workshop includes:
• An introduction and study guide for each week
• Two streaming video presentations by Daniel J. Harrington, S.J., given previously at Boston College
• Text transcripts of video presentations in downloadable pdf format
• Weekly questions for reflection and discussion
• A "town meeting" forum to meet other participants and socialize
• A Resource Page for further study
• Those who actively participate receive a certificate of active participation for the workshop
All C21 Online courses and workshops include these features:
• Participants have access 24 hours/7 days a week to the course's password-protected web site.
• Each participant belongs to a small community for conversation and faith sharing guided by a facilitator.
• Course site is open to participants at least one week before and one week after the course.
• An orientation in how to navigate the web site is always available.
• Technical assistance is easy to contact and prompt in returning a message.
Week 1: Jesus Foretold and Fulfilled in the Readings of Advent
Week 2: Jesus Fulfilled in the Infancy Narratives
Additional Materials Needed
Although there will be a Bible available online, you may wish to have a Bible available in hard copy also.
All other readings will be downloadable from the course site or available via links to other Internet sites.
A participant can expect to spend an average of approximately 4 hours each week. This commitment includes time to view the videos, complete assigned reading, and interact in the online discussion forum.
Content Scholar: Daniel J. Harrington, S.J. (video); course design Melinda Brown Donovan
Facilitator: James M. Mongelluzzo