CATECHIST CERTIFICATION FRAMEWORK
C21 Online is working with the Boston Archdiocese to help teachers complete their catechist certification courses. A wide variety of courses are being offered to meet the requirements of the Boston Archdiocese, which can be viewed in detail on our courses page. Visit our FAQ page for more information on how our courses are conducted.
- Four basic courses are required within the first four years, with completion of at least one course per year. A "basic course" is one four-week course in each of these areas: Sacraments, Scripture, Morality, and Creed.
- Course registration and completion is tracked by principals, with school documentation submitted yearly.
- Courses are paid for by schools at the reduced Network Membership rate of $40 per course.
- Boston Archdiocese will award 30 credit hours for each course with a total of 120 credit hours over the four-year period.
How to Get Started
- Let your principal know which course you would like to take from our schedule of courses.
- The principal should use our Excel template to complete all teacher information.
- Two weeks before each course begins, the principal should email a separate Excel sheet for each course to Jane.Regan@bc.edu and email@example.com.
- Teachers will receive individual email notification confirming their registration in the course along with login information and instructions.
- There is no expectation for participants to be online at a particular time. For your convenience, courses are accessible 24/7 during the dates the course site is open.
- To receive a Certificate of Active Participation, a minimum of 3 substantial posts per week in the discussion forum is required. This certificate will be necessary to receive credit from the Boston Archdiocese.
- Although you are only required to complete one course per year, if you choose you may accelerate your certification and complete the required four courses in less than four years.
- Courses run for four weeks and workshops run for two weeks. To meet the Boston Archdiocese requirements, you may take one course or two consecutive workshops.
- If the scheduled courses do not meet your needs and your school has a group of 15 or more teachers who would like to take the same course, C21 Online can work to offer that course at a time convenient for your group. Please email Jane.Regan@bc.edu to discuss details.
Courses and Workshops
- Creed: One 4-week course, The Creed (Available).
- Sacraments: One 4-week course, Sacraments in Catholic Life or two 2-week workshops, The Eucharist and A Sacramental People.
- Morality: One 4-week course, Christian Faith and Moral Character (Available).
- Scripture: Two 2-week workshops from any of the following selections: Encountering Jesus, Jesus Foretold and Fulfilled, The Gospel of Mark, The Gospel of Matthew, the Gospel of Luke, The Gospel of John (Available).