school of theology and ministry
Create your own plan for intellectual and spiritual renewal during our fall or spring semesters, or during the Summer Institute. Take courses for audit or credit, or consider working toward a certificate. You can expect:
- Courses with world-class faculty. Auditors have the opportunity to participate fully in class, and are expected to keep up with reading assignments, but do not have the pressure of exams and papers. Experienced ministers are valued for the insight they bring to class discussion, born of their years of service to the Church. Academic advisement is available to support your choice of courses.
- A diverse and global student community at STM, including Jesuits and other candidates approved for ordination studies, and women and men studying for lay ecclesial ministries and for service rooted in faith. STM’s large percentage of younger graduate students (mid-twenties/early thirties) is a source of energy and hope for many experienced ministers.
- STM offers a robust roster of special lectures and workshops (most of which are free of charge), as well as liturgical, service, and social events. Liturgy is generally available at the STM midday Monday through Friday. An all-school liturgy and repast is offered most weeks when classes are in session.
- Options for deepening spirituality are available. The STM provides a listing of seasoned spiritual directors in the vicinity of Boston College. In addition, the Boston area is home to several fine retreat houses located in scenic areas, and offering a variety of retreat options.
- In addition to all that the STM has to offer, countless opportunities are offered within the University, including an expansive array of liturgical, cultural, and educational events. (See: Liturgy Schedule, Arts Calendar, University Calendar, The Church in the 21st Century Center)
- Boston is beautiful in any season, and known for its cultural, artistic, and historical heritage. From the Museum of Fine Arts to the Boston Symphony Orchestra and the American Repertory Theater, there are numerous ways to experience the richness of New England.
- During the Summer Institute, economical, on-campus apartment-type housing is available. For study planned during the fall and spring, visit the STM housing page.
- For the purpose of auditing courses in the fall and spring semesters, prospective students may apply as a Special Student, an Auditor, or Minister-in-the-Vicinity.
- For summer study, no application is required; students only need to register online when it becomes available in early April.
- For additional information, contact STM Admissions at 617-552-6535.