Barbara E. Wolfe, Ph.D., APRN, CS, FAAN
associate dean for research and professor
Cushing Hall 433A
- Ph.D. - Boston College
- M.S.N. - Yale University
- B.S.N. - Syracuse University
Eating disorders; anorexia nervosa; bulimia nervosa; serotonin; neurotransmitter regulation; dieting behavior; impulsivity; depression; psychobiology.
Dr. Wolfe’s research focuses on the psychobiology of eating disorders. In particular, her work focuses on the relationship between neurotransmitter functioning and mood, impulsivity, and eating behavior. Her research also explores the influence of dieting on neurotransmitter precursor availability and related behaviors.
Dr. Wolfe received her B.S.N .from Syracuse University, her M.S.N. for Yale University, and Ph.D. from Boston College. She is certified as an Advanced Practice Registered Nurse in the specialty of Psychiatric-Mental Health Nursing. She is an active member of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association, serving as President from 2003-2004. She is also a member of the Eating Disorders Research Society, Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing, and a Fellow in the American Academy of Nursing.
APPOINTMENTS & AWARDS
- Member, American Psychiatric Association DSM-V Eating Disorders Work Group
- Member, Editorial Board, Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association
- Member, Editorial Review Panel, Advances in Nursing Science
- 2009-2012 Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Executive Nurse Fellow
- 2007 Excellence in Nursing Research Research Award, Massachusetts Association for Registered Nurses
- 2004 Nancy Valentine Excellence in Leadership Award, New England Chapter, American Psychiatric Nurses’ Association
- Wolfe, B. E., Kelly-Weeder, S. S., Malcom, A. W., McKenery, M. (accepted). Accuracy of self-reported body weight and height in remitted anorexia nervosa. To appear in Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association.
- Wolfe, B. E., Hannon Engel, S. L., & Mitchell, J. E. (2012). Bulimia in DSM-5. Psychiatric Annals, 42(11), 406-409.
- Kelly-Weeder, S., Jennings, K., & Wolfe, B.E. (2012). Gender differences in binge eating and behavioral correlates among college students. Eating & Weight Disorders, 17, e200-e202.
- Wolfe, B. E., Metzger, E. D., Whittaker, A. E., Jimerson, D. C. (2012). In T. M. Buttaro, J. Trybulski, P. P. Bailey, & J. Sandberg-Cook (Ed.), Primary Care: A Collaborative Practice, 4th ed. St. Louis, MO: Mosby.
- Wolfe, B. E., Jimerson, D. C., Smith, A., & Keel, P. K. (2011). Serum amylase in bulimia nervosa and purging disorder: Differentiating the association with binge eating versus purging behavior. Physiology & Behavior, 104, 684-686.