Patricia A. Tabloski, Ph.D., GNP-BC, FGSA, FAAN
Cushing Hall 417
- Ph.D. - University of Rochester
- M.S.N. - Seton Hall University
- B.S.N. - Purdue University
Sleep disturbances and non-pharmacology nursing management of agitation in the elderly
Dr. Tabloski has committed her career to the teaching, practice, administration and research of gerontology since 1978. Dr. Tabloski maintained a clinical practice as an advanced practice gerontological nurse in collaboration with two physician colleagues and a multi-disciplinary team for 20 years. The team provided primary care to nursing home residents at all levels of care. Additionally, she established the first Geriatric Assessment Clinic at the University of Massachusetts Medical Center and arranged rotations for many nursing, medical and social work students over the years. Dr. Tabloski conducts research to improve sleep and reduce agitation using non-pharmacological interventions. She has numerous publications, presentations and citations that attest to her accomplishments as a scholar and a researcher. She has gained a national and international reputation as an expert in the area of sleep and care of the elderly. She has just completed a text book entitled Gerontological Nursing (2006) Prentice Hall, which has been well received. The text focuses on normal changes of aging and common diseases of aging as the basis of nursing assessment and planning. The text also incorporates clinical pearls, Best Nursing Practices, drug alerts, critical thinking exercises and care planning examples. These same features will support the growth and knowledge acquisition of the Brigham educator/clinical leader teams.
Dr. Tabloski is an excellent colleague and supportive of others wishing to care for the elderly. She recently obtained funding for three full scholarships at Boston College for students choosing to study gerontology but lacking funds to pursue study. She presently is completing a study funded by NIA to conduct an intervention study to improve sleep by using individualized music at bedtime combined with an environmental noise light reduction program.
Dr. Tabloski teaches graduate and undergraduate courses in gerontology, end of life care, pharmacology and pathophysiology. She works with undergraduate, masters and doctoral students interested in care of the elderly. Her current clinical skills and over 20 years experience as an advanced practice nurse enrich her teaching expertise. While at the University of Massachusetts, she developed the first multi-disciplinary course on normal aging open to nursing, medical, social work and psychology students from the Worcester area. Students from all disciplines and levels of study have worked with Dr. Tabloski in the classroom, clinic, and nursing home.
Dr. Tabloski was selected to serve as a faculty mentor and scholar at the John A. Hartford Foundation, Institute for Geriatric Nursing at New York University in June, 2002. Additionally, she was a Visiting Research Fellow at the University of Leeds, School of Nursing in Manchester, UK. She has lectured on gerontology in Budapest, Hungary and Zhejiang Province, China. She serves on review panels for top-tier nursing journals, is a grant application reviewer, and maintains certification as an advanced practice gerontological nurse through the American Nurses Credentialing Center. She is a member of Sigma Theta Tau, the national honor society of nursing, and the American Geriatric Society, serving on the Professional Education Committee for three years. She has been a member of the Gerontological Society of America since 1985 and was awarded fellowship status in 2002.
SELECTED APPOINTMENTS & AWARDS
- 2011- Outstanding Alumni Award, Purdue University, College of Health and Human Services
- 2010 - Fellowship, American Academy of Nursing
- 2010 - Fellowship, Mayday Pain and Society Media Fellow
- 2010 - American Journal of Nursing's Book of the Year for Gerontological Nursing, 2nd edition
- Fellow, Leadership for Academic Nursing Program, 2007. American Association of Colleges of Nursing.
- Tabloski, P. (2013). Gerontological Nursing, 3rd Edition. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Pearson, Prentice-Hall.
- Tabloski, P.A. (2010). Clinical Handbook for Gerontological Nursing (2nd ed). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Prentice Hall.
- Tabloski, P., Ruhl, C., Fox, G., Sinclair, B., Stamps, D., & Zurakowski, T. (2006). Nursing Care of Older Women. AWHONN, Lifelines, 10, 4: 298-304.
- Blanchard, T. & Tabloski, P. (2006). Motorcycle Safety: Educating Riders at the Teachable Moment. Journal of Emergency Nursing, 32(4): 330-332.
- Tabloski, P.A. (2006). Gerontological Nursing, Upper Saddle River, NJ:Pearson Prentice Hall.