Melissa Sutherland, Ph.D., FNP-BC
Cushing Hall 421
- Ph.D. - University of Virginia
- B.S.N., M.S.N. - State University of New York, Binghamton
- B.S. - Cornell University
Intimate partner violence, STDs/HIV, health consequences of violence
Dr. Sutherland is an assistant professor at the Connell School of Nursing. Before joining the faculty she was practicing as a nurse practitioner at a sexually transmitted disease clinic in upstate New York. She completed her dissertation in May 2008 at the University of Virginia. Her dissertation was titled "Dissociation, violence and risk reducing behaviors in women" and examined lifetime violence, dissociative experiences and safer sex practices in a sample of women. She has worked as a maternal/child nurse, community health, and public health. Dr. Sutherland's research focuses on health promotion, specifically sexual health, among women experiencing violence.
SELECTED APPOINTMENTS & AWARDS
- 2013 - National Academies of Practice. Distinguished Practitioner and Fellow
- 2011- present, Nursing Network Violence Against Women International
Advisory Board Member (Treasurer)
- 2010 American Nurses Foundation Gloria Smith, Ph.D., RN, FAAN/ANF Scholar: Intersection of violence and reproductive health in a sample of women
- 2010 Visiting Scholar, McLean Hospital
- 2009-2010 Spirit Award, Connell School of Nursing, Boston College
- Sutherland, M.A., Fantasia, H.C., & Adkison, L. (Accepted). Sexual health and dissociative experiences among abused women. Issues in Mental Health Nursing.
- Sutherland, M. A., Amar, A. F., Laughon, K. (2013). Who Sends the Email? Using Electronic Surveys in Violence Research. Western Journal of Emergency Medicine, 14(4) 363-369.
- Prowse, K., Logue, C. & Sutherland, M.A., & Fantasia, H.C. (accepted). Intimate partner violence and the CDC’s HIV risk reduction interventions. Public Health Nursing.
- Sutherland, M.A., Amar, A.F., & Laughon, K. (2013). Who sends the email? Using electronic surveys in violence research. Western Journal of Emergency Medicine. 14(4): 363–369. doi: 10.5811/westjem.2013.2.15676
- Cory, A., Boyle, K., McClain, N., & Sutherland, M.A. (accepted). Examining nutrition among a sample of 3-5 year old children living in rural Jamaica. Pediatric Nursing.