M. Colleen Simonelli, PhD, RNC
clinical associate professor and department assistant chair
Cushing Hall 334 E
- Ph.D. - University of Massachusetts Lowell
- M.S. - Boston College
- B.S. - Marquette University
I am a full-time clinical associate professor for Boston College’s Connell School of Nursing. Currently I am the TOR for NU 245 and NU 244 and as such I coordinate the undergraduate Childbearing Nursing Clinical Laboratory and lecture for the Childbearing theory course. Additionally in the spring, I will coordinate clinical placements for NU 407 Childbearing clinical and lecture the Master’s Entry students for the Childbearing curriculum of NU 406.
I have been an MGH nurse for 22 years. The majority of my experience has been in high-risk labor and delivery. I have been teaching clinical Obstetrical and Pediatric Nursing to undergraduate and graduate students since 1989. I have held part-time appointments with UMASS Boston, MGH’s IHP, Regis College and Boston College prior to joining BC’s full-time faculty in 2001.
My undergraduate studies were at Marquette University where I received a B.S. in nursing, I obtained my M.S. from Boston College in their CNS – acute care Pediatric program and am currently enrolled in the University of Massachusetts Lowell’s doctoral program in Nursing. My coursework was completed in December of 2004 and I have been actively working on my dissertation, the focus of which is, preventing smoking relapse in postpartum women. In July of 2007 I completed data collection for this prospective, longitudinal, survey research and have begun the process of data analysis.
I live in Holliston, Massachusetts with my husband Joe, three children, Elizabeth, Michael, and Matthew and our Golden Retriever Montana.
SELECTED APPOINTMENTS & AWARDS
- May 2010- Classroom Teaching Award, William F. Connell School of Nursing, May 2010
- May 2004- Outstanding Graduate Student Award University of Massachusetts Lowell
- May 2004- Graduate Student Research Day Award - Relapse: A Concept Analysis
- June 2003- June 2005 - Promise of Nurse Educators Scholarship National League of Nursing
- Simonelli, M. C., Paskausky, A., Velicer, W. F. (in press). Preventing Relapse to Smoking in Postpartum Women: Exclusive breastfeeding may be the key. Journal of Obstetric Gynecologic Neonatal Nursing.
- Simonelli, M. C., Velicer, W. F. (2012). Cluster Subtypes Appropriate for Preventing Postpartum Smoking Relapse. Addictive Behaviors, 37(3), 280-286.
- Simonelli, M. C., & Gennaro, S. (2012). Innovative strategies for 21st century perinatal nursing education. MCN, American Journal of Maternal Child Nursing, 37(6), 373-378. doi: 10.1097/NMC.0b013e31825108b6
- Simonelli, M. C., Paskausky, A. L. (2012). Simulation Stimulates Learning in Childbearing Clinical Course. Journal of Nursing Education, 51(3), 172-175.
- Simonelli, M.C., & Paskausky, A.L. (2012). Simulation stimulates learning in a childbearing clinical course. Journal of Nursing Education, 51(3), 172-175. doi: 10.3928/01484834-20111230-03