Judith Shindul-Rothschild, PhD, RNPC
Cushing Hall 334C
- Ph.D. - Boston College
- M.S.N. - Yale University
- B.S. - Boston College
Female athlete triad, eating disorders, staffing and quality of care, licensure and discipline of registered nurses, and psychopharmacology
Judith Shindul-Rothschild is an associate professor at Boston College School of Nursing where she teaches psychiatric mental health nursing to undergraduates and graduate students. She is a certified psychiatric nurse clinical specialist and has practiced in a variety of mental health care settings. Dr. Shindul-Rothschild's research and writings have focused on the relationships between health care financing, nurses' working conditions, and eating disorders.
Dr. Shindul-Rothschild is co-author of the book Aging and Public Policy: Social Control or Social Justice?. She has published numerous articles on the impact of health policies on patient care and nursing practice in professional journals such as: Journal of Emergency Nursing, Critical Care Nursing, Journal of Nursing Education, Nursing Management, Best Practices and Benchmarking in Health Care, Revolution, The American Nurse, The American Journal of Nursing, and Advanced Practice Nurse. She and Suzanne Gordon, a journalist, have published articles for the public on the adverse effects of competition or market based health financing in: The Los Angles Times, The Utney Reader, The Nation, Mother Jones, The Miami Herald, and The Boston Globe. She has been widely quoted by the national print, television and radio media in the United States and Canada including: Good Morning America, NBC Nightly News, PBS, Canadian Broadcasting Company, National Cable Network Television, The New York Times, US News and World Report, Newsweek, USA Today, The Bureau of National Affairs, Modern Healthcare, and National Public Radio. In the past year, she has been invited to address audiences across the United States and Canada on the financial implications of health care reform.
Dr. Rothschild currently represents the American Psychiatric Nurses Association on the Female Athlete Triad Coalition – a research and advocacy group comprised of representatives from the International Olympic Committee, the NCAA, the National Governing Bodies for women’s sports and health care associations whose members research and treat athletes with eating disorders. Dr. Rothschild's current research focus is investigating the risk factors associated with underweight high school boys and girls who may be at risk for developing an eating disorder. In particular she is interested in developing a screening tool for school nurses to identify young men and women who maybe at risk for anorexia or bulimia.
Dr. Shindul-Rothschild is a Distinguished Practitioner in the National Academy of Practice. She is currently serving on the Nominations Committee of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association. She has served as an appointed member of the Congress on Economics in the American Nurses Association and she is a past president of the Massachusetts Nurses Association.
SELECTED APPOINTMENTS & AWARDS
- 2014 - Mary Manning Mentorship Award, American Nurses Association (ANA) Massachusetts
- 2014 - Teaching in New Media Award, Eteaching
- 2013 - 90 Nurses for 90 Years, Yale University School of Nursing
- 2011 - Award for Outstanding Teaching and Mentorship, Senior Class of the William F. Connell School of Nursing
- 1999 - Excellence in Academic Nursing Education Award, District 5, Massachusetts Nurses Association
- Shindul-Rothschild, J., & Gregas, M. (2014). Patient turnover and nursing employment in Massachusetts hospitals before and after health insurance reform: Implications for the patient protection and Affordable Care Act. Policy, Politics, & Nursing Practice, 14(3-4), 151-162. doi: 10.1177/1527154414527829
- Stamp, K. D., Flanagan, J. M., & Shindul-Rothschild, J. (2014). Predictors of excess heart failure readmissions: Implications for nursing practice. Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 29(2), 115-123. doi: 10.1097/NCQ.0000000000000042
- Shindul-Rothschild, J. (2012). Use of antidepressants in patients receiving nursing care. In A.J. Rothschild (Ed.), Evidence based guide to antidepressant medication (1st ed., pp. 307-347). Washington, DC: American Pyschiatric Publishing, Inc.
- Shindul-Rothschild , J. (2012). Community mental health nursing. In G.A. Harkness & R. DeMarco (Eds.), Community and public health nursing: An Epidemiologic Approach. (pp. 411-432). Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkens.
- Shindul-Rothschild, J. (2012). Substance abuse. In Harkness, G. A., & DeMarco, R. (Eds.), Community and public health nursing: Evidence for practice (pp. 303-333). Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins.