Ellen K. Mahoney, RN, PhD, FGSA
Cushing Hall 426
- Ph.D. - University of California, San Francisco
- M.S.N. - University of Pennsylvania
- B.S.N. - Georgetown University
Human responses in chronic illness/disability; patterns of behavior in persons with dementia; nursing interventions to promote functional ability in the elderly; recovery from stroke
SELECTED APPOINTMENTS & AWARDS
- 2006-2008 “The nursing ambulatory to hospital transitions program [NAHT]” Consultant, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Interdisciplinary Nursing Quality Research Initiative (INQRI), Barbara Roberge PI
- 2004 Outstanding Alumna Award, University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing
- 2002-2006 "Reminiscence during bathing persons with AD at home" (RO1 NR07893-01A1), Principal Investigator, NIH/NINR, 9/02 - 6/06.
- 2002 Fellow, Gerontological Society of America
- 2001-2003 "Dynamic assessment for nursing homes". Subcontract between metalinker.com and Boston College under NIH Grant No. R44AG15937-02, Principal Investigator Claire Gutkin, 2/01 - 2/03.
- Hurley, A. C., Volicer, L., Mahoney, E. K. (2012). "Mental Status Measurement: Mini-mental state exam," In J. Fitzpatrick & M. Wallace Lazer (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Nursing Research, 288-290. NY: Springer.
- Jablonski, R. A., Kolanowski, A., Therrien, B., Mahoney, E. K., Kassab, C., Leslie, D. L. (2011). Reducing care-resistant behaviors during oral hygiene in persons with dementia. BMC Oral Health, 11(30), 10.
- Jablonski, R.A., Therrien, B., Mahoney, E.K., Kolanowski, A., Gabelo, M., & Brock, A. (2011). An Intervention to Reduce Care-Resistant Behavior in Person with Dementia During Oral Hygiene: A Pilot Study. Special Care in Dentistry, 31(3), 77-87.
- Coakley, A.B. & Mahoney, E.K. (2009). Creating a Therapeutic and Healing Environment with a Pet Therapy Program. Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice, 15(3), 141-146.
- Barron, A.M., Coakley, A.B., Fitzgerald, E.M., & Mahoney, E.K. (2008). Promoting the integration of therapeutic touch in nursing practice on an inpatient oncology and bone marrow transplant unit. International Journal for Human Caring, 12(2), 81-89.
- Shen, C., Smyer, M.A., Mahoney, K.J., Loughlin, D.M., Simon-Rusinowitz, L., & Mahoney, E.K. (2008). Does mental illness affect consumer direction of community-based care? Lessons from the Arkansas Cash and Counseling Program. The Gerontologist. 48(1), 93-104.