Carina Katigbak, Ph.D., RN
Cushing Hall 336K
- Ph.D. - New York University
- M.S. - New York University
- B.S.N. - Ryerson University
Immigrant and minority health, cardiovascular health disparities, health promotion, chronic illness management, community health workers, community-based participatory research, and Asian-American health.
Dr. Katigbak is an assistant professor whose research interests focus on hypertension management among Asian American immigrants using community health worker (CHW) interventions. Her pre-doctoral training with the NYU CDC-Prevention Research Center at the Center for the Study of Asian American Health and the Health Disparities Training Program with the Charles B. Wang Community Health Center informed the development of the study, “Community Health Workers’ Roles in Facilitating the Adoption of Healthy Behaviors Among Filipino Americans with Hypertension”--funded by the Sigma Theta Tau International Doris Bloch Research Award (2011). Dr. Katigbak was trained as an Adult-Primary Care Nurse Practitioner, and practiced as a Cardiothoracic ICU nurse.
- Ursua, R., Aguilar, D., Wyatt, L., Katigbak, C., Islam, N., Tandon, D., … Trinh-Shevrin, C. (2014). A community health worker intervention to improve management of hypertension among Filipino immigrants in New York and New Jersey: A pilot study. Ethnicity and Disease, 24(1), 67-76. Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3955003/
- Kovner, C., Brewer, C., Fatehi, F., & Katigbak, C. (2014). Changing trends in newly licensed RNs. American Journal of Nursing, 114(2), 26-34. doi: 10.1097/01.NAJ.0000443767.20011.7f
- Lusk, E., Kovner, C., Lee, C.-S., Katigbak, C., & Selander, N. (2013). The technical underpinnings and extended "What if" analysis of the decision support systems programmed for the IOM/8020 nursing initiative. Journal of Knowledge, Management, Economics, and Information Technology, 3(3). Retrieved from http://www.scientificpapers.org
- Kovner, C., Lee, C.-S., Lusk, E., Katigbak, C., Selander, N. (2013). Sustainability of the IOM 80/20 nursing initiative as viewed through a decision support system supporting “What-if” benchmarking capabilities. Journal of Management and Sustainability, 3(3). doi: 10.5539/jms.v3n3p25
- Kovner, C., Brewer, C., Katigbak, C., Djukic, M., & Fatehi, F. (2012). Charting the course for nurses’ achievement of higher education levels. Journal of Professional Nursing, 28(6), 333-43. doi: 10.1016/j.profnurs.2012.04.021.