Dorothy A. Jones, Ed.D., RNC, ANP, FAAN
Cushing Hall 336 B
- Ed.D. - Boston University
- M.S.N. - Indiana University
- B.S.N. - Long Island University, Brooklyn
- RN - The Brooklyn Hospital School of Nursing
Continued investigation of patient's recovery at home following ambulatory surgery with local and general anesthesia; future expansion to include other populations' responses to early hospital discharge; continued testing and development of psychometric properties of Functional Health Pattern Screening Assessment Tool (FHPSAT) across populations and cultural groups; evaluation of Professional Practice Model and impact of nurse empowerment, decision making and satisfaction; development and tesing of a practice model grounded in Margaret Newmans' Theory of Health as Expanding consciousness
Dorothy A. Jones, Ed.D., ANP, FAAN, is a Professor of Adult Health at the William F. Connell School of Nursing at Boston College, where she formerly served as Chair of the Adult Health Department from 1995 to 1999. She is a senior nurse scientist at the Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, Massachusetts, and currently is president of the Eastern Nursing Research Society. She has been involved in nursing language development serving as past president of the North American Nursing Diagnosis Association. Jones’ research includes a NIH-funded study focusing on patients’ recovery at home following ambulatory surgery, theory development related to Margaret Newman’s Health as Expanding Consciousness, evaluation research, and instrument development. Her many awards include Boston College’s Teaching Excellence Award in 2005, Partners Award for Excellence in Practice in 1998 and 2003, the Indiana University School of Nursing Outstanding Alumni Award, and the Sigma Theta Tau International Founders Award in 2000. Jones has a strong record of curriculum development and mentorship with graduate students, as evidenced by their scholarship nationally and internationally. She received her B.S.N. from Long Island University and Brooklyn Hospital School of Nursing in Brooklyn, New York, and earned graduate degrees from Indiana University and Boston University.
SELECTED APPOINTMENTS & AWARDS
- 2013 - Best Authored Book Award, Sigma Theta Tau International
- 2013 - President’s Award, ENRS
- 2013 - Top 25 Most Influential Leaders in ENRS, ENRS
- 2010-present - Member, Editorial Board, Journal of Nursing Research
- 2010-present - Grant Reviewer, Harvard Catalyst Grant Program
- Jones, D. A., D. J. I. E., D. M. D. (2013). Fostering Care at the Bedside (pp. 360). Indianapolis Indiana: Sigma Theta Tau Internatonal.
- Ives Erickson, J., Jones, D., Ditomassi, M. (Eds.). (2013) Fostering Nurse-Led Care. Indianapolis, IN: Sigma Theta Tau International.
- Jones, D. A., Roy, S. C., K. A. (2013). Marjory Gordon living legend. NANDA- International Journal of Nursing Terminologies and Classification, 21(2), 2.
- Flanagan, J. M., Harris, A. L., Jones, D. A. (2013). Advanced practice registered nurses: Accomplishments, trends, and future, in Lucille A. Joel (Ed.), Advance Practice Nursing: Essentials for Role Development 3rd edition (3rd ed.). Philadelphia, PA: F A Davis Company.
- Jones, D. A., M. L., S. M., G. K. (in press). Use of standardized nursing language in the workforce. To appear in Annual Review of Nursing Research, 20.