M. Katherine Hutchinson, Ph.D., RN, FAAN
associate dean, graduate programs and professor
Cushing Hall 202M
- Postdoctoral Certificate - University of Pennsylvania
- Ph.D. and M.S. - University of Delaware
- B.S.N. - Michigan State University
Adolescent and young adult HIV-related sexual risk behaviors; family and community influence of adolescent health and sexual risk behaviors; parent-tenn sexual communication; family-based HIV risk reduction interventions; global family health
M. Katherine Hutchinson, Ph.D., RN, FAAN, joined the Connell School in 2012 as a tenured professor and associate dean for graduate programs. She received a B.S.N. from Michigan State University College of Nursing, a master’s and Ph.D. from the University of Delaware, did post-doctoral work at the University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing, and then joined the faculty there in 2001. She was a neonatal critical care nurse for 20 years and founding director of the University of Pennsylvania’s nursing undergraduate honors program before moving to be an associate professor at New York University’s School of Nursing..
Hutchinson’s research interests include adolescent and young adult risk behaviors, with a focus on parental influences of sexual risk behaviors and HIV prevention. Since 2005, she has been collaborating with researchers from the University of the West Indies on an NIH-sponsored project testing a family-based HIV risk-reduction intervention for adolescent girls and their mothers.
- Harris, A. L., Sutherland, M. A., Hutchinson, M. K. (accepted). Parental influences of sexual risk among urban African American adolescent males.. To appear in Journal of Nursing Scholarship.
- Kang, S.Y., Hutchinson, M.K., & Waldron, N. (in press). Characteristics related to sexual experience and condom use among Jamaican female adolescents. To appear in Journal of Health Care of the Poor and Underserved.
- Hutchinson, M.K., Smith, T., Waldron, N., Kahwa, E., Hamilton, P., Hewitt, H., & Kang, S. (in press). Validation of the Jamaican maternal sexual role modeling (MSRM) scale. West Indian Journal of Medicine, xx,.
- Cederbaum, J. A., Hutchinson, M. K., Duan, L., & Jemmott, L. S. (2012). The influence of maternal HIV serostatus on mother-daughter sexual risk communication and adolescent engagement in HIV risk behaviors. AIDS & Behavior, on-line first. doi: 10.1007/s10461-012-0218-x
- Waldron, N., Hutchinson, M.K., Hewitt, H., Kahwa, E., & Hamilton, P. (2012). Cross-cultural psychometric assessment of the parent-teen sexual risk communication scale in Jamaica. Open Journal of Preventive Medicine, 2(2), 205-213.