M. Katherine Hutchinson, Ph.D., RN, FAAN
associate dean, graduate programs and professor
Cushing Hall 202M
- Postdoctoral Certificate - University of Pennsylvania
- Ph.D. and M.S. - University of Delaware
- B.S.N. - Michigan State University
Adolescent and young adult HIV-related sexual risk behaviors; family and community influence of adolescent health and sexual risk behaviors; parent-tenn sexual communication; family-based HIV risk reduction interventions; global family health
M. Katherine Hutchinson, Ph.D., RN, FAAN, joined the Connell School in 2012 as a tenured professor and associate dean for graduate programs. She received a B.S.N. from Michigan State University College of Nursing, a master’s and Ph.D. from the University of Delaware, did post-doctoral work at the University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing, and then joined the faculty there in 2001. She was a neonatal critical care nurse for 20 years and founding director of the University of Pennsylvania’s nursing undergraduate honors program before moving to be an associate professor at New York University’s School of Nursing..
Hutchinson’s research interests include adolescent and young adult risk behaviors, with a focus on parental influences of sexual risk behaviors and HIV prevention. Since 2005, she has been collaborating with researchers from the University of the West Indies on an NIH-sponsored project testing a family-based HIV risk-reduction intervention for adolescent girls and their mothers.
- Hutchinson, M. K., Lloyd, M. Implementing Rapid Oral Fluid HIV Testing in Dental Care Settings: Opportunities for Nurse Practitioner-Dentist Collaborations. Nurse Practitioner Journal, 37(3), 20-21.
- Cederbaum, J., Barman Adhikari, A., Guerrero, E. G., Hutchinson, M. K. (2013). Relationship Satisfaction and Communication among Urban Minority HIV-Positive and HIV-Negative Mothers: The Influence on Daughters' Alcohol Use. To appear in Journal of Family Issues.
- Harris, A. L., Sutherland, M. A., Hutchinson, M. K. (2013). Parental influences of sexual risk among urban African American adolescent males. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 45(2), 141-150. doi: 10.1111/jnu.12016
- Kang, S.Y., Hutchinson, M.K., & Waldron, N. (2013). Characteristics related to sexual experience and condom use among Jamaican female adolescents. Journal of Health Care of the Poor and Underserved, 24(1), 220-232.
- Hutchinson, M.K., Smith, T., Waldron, N., Kahwa, E., Hamilton, P., Hewitt, H., & Kang, S. (2012). Validation of the Jamaican maternal sexual role modeling (MSRM) scale. West Indian Journal of Medicine, 61(9). 10.7727/wimj.2011.198