Holly B. Fontenot, Ph.D., RN, WHNP-BC
Cushing Hall 302
- M.S. and Ph.D. Boston College
- B.S.N. Georgia Baptist College of Nursing/Mercer University
Women’s health, human papillomavirus (HPV), sexual health and safety, forensic nursing
Dr. Fontenot assumed the role of coordinator of the women’s health nurse practitioner (WHNP) program in June of 2007; she has been a faculty member at Boston College since winter of 2004. She is a certified women’s health nurse practitioner and teaches advanced practice in women’s health nursing and theoretical foundations in women’s health and pediatric nursing. She also teaches in the forensic nursing program, gives guest lectures in advanced health assessment, and precepts masters students at the Sidney Borum Health Center, where she works as a WHNP. Her research currently focuses on the human papillomavirus (HPV) and the intersections of violence and women’s health. She is a member of AANP, Sigma Theta Tau International, AWHONN, MCNP, NONPF, and the IAFN.
SELECTED APPOINTMENTS & AWARDS
- 2013 - National Academies of Practice. Distinguished Practitioner and Fellow
- 2012 - Nurse of the Year, Award Category: Researcher/Administration, March of Dimes, Massachusetts
- 2011 - present - Editorial Board, Nursing for Women's Health
- October 2010 - Top 100 nurses leading the health care response, International Association of Forensic Nurses
- 2010 - Guest Editor, Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, and Neonatal Nursing
- Fontenot, H. B. (2013). Intersection of HPV and sexual assault: An opportunity for practice change. Journal of Forensic Nursing, Advance online publication. doi: 10.1097/JFN.0b013e318291b276
- Sutherland, M. A., Fontenot, H. B., Fantasia, H. C. (in press). Beyond screening: providers' responses to violence. To appear in Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners.
- LaCoursiere Zucchero, T., Fontenot, H. B. (2012). A Second Look: the impact of running away on adolescent females' sexual health. Nursing for Women's Health, 16(5), 411-417.
- Sutherland, M. A., Fantasia, H. C., Fontenot, H. B., Harris, A. L. (2012). Safer sex and partner violence in a sample of women. Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 8(9), 717-724.
- Fontenot, H.B., & Fantasia, H.C. (2012). Vaginal progesterone to prevent preterm birth in high-risk women. Nursing for Women's Health, 16(3), 237-241. doi:10.1111/j.1751-486X.2012.01735.x