Sean P. Clarke, RN, Ph.D., FAAN
associate dean for undergraduate programs and professor
Cushing Hall 202G
- M.Sc.(A.), Ph.D. - McGill University
- B.A. - Carleton University
- B.Sc. - University of Ottawa
Organizational aspects of health care safety and quality; nursing administration research; occupational health and safety of nurses; policy and program evaluation; nursing and health care systems in international context.
Dr. Clarke is the associate dean for Undergraduate Programs and Professor at the Connell School of Nursing. A graduate of the Ingram School of Nursing at McGill University in Montreal, Canada, Clarke began his nursing career in a master’s entry program after studying biochemistry and psychology. He was a coronary care unit (CCU) nurse during his PhD studies, and completed specialized training as an adult acute care nurse practitioner with a focus on cardiology. Prior to coming to Boston College, he taught at the Universities of Ottawa, Pennsylvania and Toronto and most recently McGill, and is widely known for his work on patient safety, work environments and workforce issues.
Clarke comes to the Associate Dean role with extensive teaching experience at the undergraduate and graduate levels. He has managed research groups, and been involved in academia-practice in partnerships in a variety of roles, including an endowed clinical research chair at the University of Toronto and University Health Network and the directorship of a special donor-sponsored set of collaborative projects between McGill University and its affiliated clinical agencies. Clarke is a fellow of the American Academy of Nursing, and holds adjunct appointments at the Université de Montréal and the University of Hong Kong.
Appointments & Awards
- 2014 - Member, Board of Governors, and Chair, Research and Evaluation Committee, CGFNS International
- 2013-present - Editor-in-Chief, CJNR (Canadian Journal of Nursing Research)
- 2011-present - Member, Editorial Board, International Journal of Nursing Studies
- 2011-present - Member, Editorial Board, Journal of Nursing Management
- 2009-present - Member, Editorial Board, Journal of Nursing Regulation
- O’Keefe-McCarthy, S., McGillion, M., Nelson, S., Clarke, S., Jones, J., Rizza, S. & McFetridge-Durdle, J. (2014). Acute coronary syndrome pain and anxiety in a rural emergency department: patient and nurse perspectives. Canadian Journal of Nursing Research, 46(2): 80-100.
- O'Keefe-McCarthy, S., McGillion, M., Nelson, S., Clarke, S., McFetridge-Durdle, J., & Watt-Watson, J. (2014). Content validity of the Toronto Pain Management Inventory-Acute Coronary Syndrome Version. Canadian Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 24(2): 11-8.
- Roch, G., Dubois, C.A, & Clarke, S.P. (2014). Organizational climate and hospital nurses’ caring practices: A mixed-methods study. Research in Nursing and Health, 37(3): 229-40.
- D’Amour, D., Dubois, C.A., Tchouaket, E., Clarke, S., Blais, R. (2013). The occurrence of adverse events potentially attributable to nursing on medical units. International Journal of Nursing Studies. [E-pub available ahead of print: doi: 10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2013.10.017.]
- Poghosyan, L., Nannini, A., Smaldone, A., Clarke, S., O'Rourke, N., Rosato, B., Berkowitz, B. (2013). Revisiting scope of practice facilitators and barriers for primary care nurse practitioners: A qualitative investigation. Policy, Politics, and Nursing Practice, 14(1):6-15.