Skip to main content

Secondary navigation:

Frequently Asked Questions

urban catholic teacher corps

UCTC Volunteers Out in Boston
UCTC Volunteers Out in Boston


When does the program start and end?

Volunteers begin the program in June and will complete the Master’s degree by the end of June two years later.

What graduate program should I apply for in the Lynch School?

Applicants must apply for, and be accepted to, the M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction.

If I am admitted to the Lynch School and UCTC, how much tuition will be covered by the program?

If you are admitted to both UCTC and the Lynch School, UCTC covers tuition for your Master's degree (UCTC members are responsible for all University fees, including the confirmation deposit).

Can I apply if I don’t have an undergraduate degree or concentration/minor in education?

Corps members usually have a bachelor’s degree with either a major, minor, or concentration in education, though this is not an absolute (depending on available programs of study at your undergraduate institution). UCTC members MUST have completed a semester of full-time student teaching or a year of supervised teaching and be eligible for initial licensure in the Commonwealth of Mass. in order to qualify for UCTC.  For more information on eligibility for initial state licensure, visit the Commonwealth of Mass. Department of Education Licensure Page.

Where will I teach? Can I choose where and what I will teach?

UCTC participants teach in schools throughout the Archdiocese of Boston. UCTC teachers work in Pre-K through 12th grade.  Upon offer of admission, candidates will be notified of school placement, though not of grade level teaching.

What does “living in intentional community” really mean?

Participants live in the UCTC community residence with the other program members. 

Living in intentional community means pooling your resources to purchase food and other necessities.  UCTC provides internet through BC secured WiFi.  Dinner is eaten together as a community on Monday through Thursday nights and the community gathers weekly for faith sharing.  The community makes a commitment to spend some free time together.

What will I get paid? For what expenses will I be responsible?

You will receive a modest living stipend from the program. Your tuition, rent, and utilities will be paid.  You will be responsible for personal expenses including food, personal travel, text books, and car expenses.

If I have student loans from the past, can I get them deferred or forgiven by the UCTC?

Federal loans (Stafford and Perkins) may be deferred because you are a graduate student.  Any private loans you have may or may not be eligible for deferment.  In order to confirm the eligibility of your loans for deferral, please contact your lender. You may also qualify for partial cancellation of Perkins loans depending on where and what you teach.

If I am in the UCTC, do I need to a car?

A car may make the commute to a placement easier, however the UCTC house is located within a mile of the T, the commuter rail and a number of bus stops.

What should I do if I have other questions?

Please contact UCTC at 617-552-0602 or


UCTC Volunteers Out in Boston
UCTC Volunteers Out in Boston