John D. Hanify
board member, president
"During the Task Force process, it was obvious that there were great opportunities available to partner with the Law School staff to advance Alumni relations. I felt the challenge and potential benefit to alums and the Law School certainly warranted a commitment by me and others to make Alumni relations more vibrant and useful for alums and the school. The upside value to the Law School community easily justified the commitment of time."
Mr. Hanify, the co-founder of Hanify & King, directs the firm’s litigation practice. For 35 years, he has tried cases and represented business clients in state and federal courts, before federal and state agencies, and in arbitration. He has served as a mediator in complex civil cases and as an arbitrator in commercial arbitration. He has written and lectured on topics involving business litigation and corporate risk management.
Before forming Hanify & King, Mr. Hanify served as an Assistant U.S. Attorney for the District of Massachusetts. He represented the Justice Department in the litigation of the constitutionality of various federal statutes and challenges to the Defense Department’s defense and early warning system. For these and other assignments, Mr. Hanify received the Justice Department’s Outstanding Performance Award.
Mr. Hanify has tried cases involving business fraud, unfair and deceptive trade practices, professional and fiduciary duties, representations and warranties in connection with the sale of businesses, lender liability, and shareholder and partnership disputes.
He has served as a Special Assistant Attorney General for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, litigating the constitutionality of financial powers reserved to the Executive Branch.
- Multimillion dollar judgment for claimant in commercial arbitration proceedings claiming unfair and deceptive practices and breach of warranty in connection with the sale of defective business software.
- Judgment for defendants, sellers of business, in defense of $14 million claim for fraud, breaches of financial representations and warranties in business purchase and sale agreement.
- Judgment after trial in favor of defendants, former partners, in defense of multimillion dollar partnership claims.
- Judgment for plaintiff in the first jury trial conducted in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Massachusetts, respecting disputed property interests.
- Jury trials and multiple damages awards involving claims of business fraud, deceit, misrepresentation, fraud and unfair and deceptive acts and practices. Verdict for plaintiffs, including exoneration from multimillion dollar commercial liabilities, and damages for unfair and deceptive business practices. Verdict for defendants in defense of unfair business practice and fraud claim for breach of commercial lending commitment.
Harvard College, A.B., 1971 Boston College Law School, J.D., 1974
Bar and Court Admissions
Massachusetts, State, and Federal Courts U.S. Supreme Court
- Former Member, Council of the Boston Bar Association
- Fellow of the American, Boston, and Massachusetts Bar Foundations
- Trustee of the Boston Bar Foundation
- Overseer, Boston College Law School
- Trustee, Mount Auburn Hospital
- Named for consecutive years in Best Lawyers in America and as a Massachusetts Super Lawyer for his litigation experience
- Recipient of the Justice Department’s Outstanding Performance Award
- 2006 Outstanding Alumnus of the Year, Boston College Law School
Chambers USA noted in its recent assessment of Hanify & King:
Clients are emphatic in their praise for John Hanify. Described as “a ferocious advocate who works quickly and efficiently,” he wins praise for his succinct style and authoritative presence in court.