Training + Development
The Social Innovation LAB offers a solution-focused experience, training leaders and team members to generate innovative responses to social problems. Opportunities for personal and organizational growth include:
- Engaging team members in the generation of promising ideas for social innovation
- Facilitating intensive team interactions to develop core components of social innovation models
- Supporting and developing leadership skills and capacity for managing social innovation projects and innovation teams
Components + Timeline
Over a five-month period, from January through May, agency leaders and team members will participate in guided, interactive experiences.
- January: Identification
Two to four Project Champions from each participating organization diagnose a social problem or opportunity facing the organization.
- February: Orientation
Project Champions are briefed and prepared for LAB process.
- March: Selection
Project Champions invite six to twelve employees and/or community members to Innovation Team; Innovation Team Orientation.
- April: Innovation
Project Champions and Innovation Teams generate innovative responses to identified social issues.
- May: Celebration
Event revisiting projects and celebrating agency accomplishments; Delivery of a customized summary report with information about your agency's LAB experience.
Benefits + Opportunities
Participating organizations will:
- Develop one or more custom solution prototypes to address agency responses to social problems.
- Exchange feedback through peer-to-peer consulting and dialogue on sustained change.
- Network in a community of non-profit and human service organization innovators.
- Practice fostering and supporting innovation.
- Provide development and leadership opportunities to team members.
- Receive a customized summary report with information about your agency's LAB experience.
There is no fee associated with participation. The 2011 LAB is fully supported by the Boston College Graduate School of Social Work.
Application + Participation
Leaders from social service organizations, NGOs, and public agencies can apply for participation. Organizations will be notified by December 15, 2010, regarding their participation in the 2011 LAB.
Download application and apply (PDF)
Continuing Education Units
Social work CEUs will be available.
Co-Director: Stephanie Berzin, PhD, Phone: 617-552-0197
Co-Director: Marcie Pitt-Catsouphes, PhD, Phone: 617-552-4033