Kenneth B. Schwartz
associate professor - accounting department
Ph.D., Syracuse University
M.S., The University of Rhode Island
B.S., The University of Rhode Island
Professor Ken Schwartz has extensive background and training in regulation of public companies and enforcement actions relating to financial statement manipulation and audit failure. His research focuses on audit markets, auditor changes, going-concern assessments, and filing delays. He has published in numerous journals, including The Journal of Financial Economics, The Accounting Review, Contemporary Accounting Research, Accounting Horizons, and The Academy of Management Journal. He has also served as an accounting expert in litigation cases involving complex business transactions and GAAP compliance.
He teaches all levels of financial accounting to undergraduates and graduates.
- “Client Acceptance Risks and the Auditor Search Period” with Samer Khalil and Jeffrey Cohen. Accounting Horizons (December 2011).
- “Executive Compensation and Corporate Liquidation Policy” with Hamid Mehran and George Nogler. Journal of Financial Economics, 50-3 (December 1998): 319-349.
- “Evidence of Regulatory Noncompliance with SEC Disclosure Rules on Auditor Changes with Billy Soo. The Accounting Review, 71-4 (October 1996): 555-572.
- “The Association Between Auditor Changes and Reporting Lags” with Billy Soo. Contemporary Accounting Research, 13-1 (Spring 1996): 353-370.
- “An Analysis of Form 8-K Disclosures of Auditor Changes by Firms Approaching Bankruptcy” with Billy Soo. Auditing: A Journal of Practice & Theory, 14-1(Spring 1995): 126-136.
- “Predicting Bankruptcy for Firms in Financial Distress” with Lisa Gilbert and Krishnagopal Menon. Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, 17-1 (Spring 1990): 161-171.
- “An Empirical Investigation of Audit Qualification Decisions in the Presence of Going-Concern Uncertainties” with Krishnagopal Menon. Contemporary Accounting Research, 3-2 (Spring 1987): 302-315.
- “Executive Succession in Failing Firms” with Krishnagopal Menon. Academy of Management Journal, 28-3 (September 1985): 680-686.
- “Auditor Switches by Failing Firms” with Krishnagopal Menon. The Accounting Review, 60-2 (April 1985): 248-261.