mario j. gabelli professorship - finance department
Ph.D., MIT Sloan School of Management
B.A., Wesleyan University
Professor Alan Marcus's teaching and research focus is in derivative markets, investments, and security pricing.
SELECTED APPOINTMENTS AND AWARDS
- Faculty Director, MSF program at Boston College
- CFA Institute: Research Foundation Advisory Board
- Institute of Bankers/University College Dublin: Board of Professional Finance
- “Relative Sentiment and Stock Returns,” Financial Analysts Journal, 66 (July/August 2010), with Roger M. Edelen and Hassan Tehranian.
- “Opaque Financial Reports, R-square, and Crash Risk,” Journal of Financial Economics, 94 (October 2009), with Amy Hutton and Hassan Tehranian, 67-86.
- “Corporate Governance and Pay-for-Performance: The Impact of Earnings Management,” Journal of Financial Economics, 87 (February 2008), 357-373, with Marcia Cornett and Hassan Tehranian.
- “The Impact of Institutional Ownership on Corporate Operating Performance,” Journal of Banking and Finance, 31 (June 2007), 1771-1794, with Marcia Cornett, Anthony Saunders, and Hassan Tehranian.
- “Optimal Estimation of the Risk Premium for the Long Run and Asset Allocation: A Case of Compounded Estimation Risk,” Journal of Financial Econometrics, 3 (2005), 37-55, with Eric Jacquier and Alex Kane.
- Essentials of Investments, ninth edition, 2013 (with R.A. Brealey and S.C. Myers)
- Fundamentals of Corporate Finance, seventh edition, 2012 (with A. Kane and Z. Bodie)
- Investments, ninth ed, 2011 (with A. Kane and Z. Bodie)
Professor Marcus has served as a Research Fellow at the National Bureau of Economic Research, where he participated in both the Pension Economics and the Financial Markets and Monetary Economics Groups. He also spent two years at the Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation (Freddie Mac), where he helped to develop mortgage pricing and credit risk models. He currently serves on the Research Foundation Advisory Board of the CFA Institute.