Joy M. Field
associate professor - operations management department
mckiernan family fellow
mckiernan family fellow
Fulton Hall 354C
Ph.D. Operations Management, University of Minnesota
M.S. Statistics, University of Minnesota
M.B.A. Finance, University of Minnesota
B.S. Mechanical Engineering, University of Minnesota
Dr. Joy Field’s research interests include service and manufacturing operations design, quality management, and operations strategy. Her recent research focuses on designing and managing service processes for improved efficiency and effectiveness, with an emphasis on the role of the customer co-producer. She has published her work in a number of leading academic journals, including Academy of Management Journal, Decisions Sciences, Journal of Operations Management, Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, Production and Operations Management, and Strategic Management Journal. Dr. Field is the author of the book, “Designing Service Processes to Unlock Value,” published by Business Expert Press, which explores how service processes can be designed to leverage opportunities for service providers and customers to co-create value. She teaches courses at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, including operations management, service operations, operations strategy, quality management international management experience, and statistics. Prior to her career in academia, she was an industrial engineer and financial analyst for Unisys.
SELECTED APPOINTMENTS AND AWARDS
- Associate Editor, Decision Sciences Journal (2006 Outstanding Editorial Board Member Award and 2012 Outstanding Associate Editor Award)
- Associate Editor, Journal of Operations Management (2006 Best Reviewer Award; 2009 and 2011 Best Associate Editor Awards)
- Editorial Review Board, Journal of Service Research
- Editorial Review Board, Quality Management Journal
- Editorial Advisory Board, International Journal of Operations and Production Management (2007 Outstanding Reviewer Award)
- Designing Service Processes to Unlock Value, published by Business Expert Press, 2012.
- “Learning by customers as co-producers in financial services: An empirical study of the effects of learning channels and customer characteristics,” with Mei Xue and Lorin Hitt, Operations Management Research, Vol.5, No.1-2, June 2012, pp. 43-56.
- “Service Co-production with Information Stickiness and Incomplete Contracts: Implications for Consulting Services Design,” with Mei Xue, Production and Operations Management, Vol. 17, No. 3, May-June 2008, pp. 357-372. (Winner of the Production and Operations Management Society 2011 Most Influential Service Operations Paper Award)
- “Sourcing Practices and Boundaries of the Firm in the Financial Services Industry,” with M. Hossein Safizadeh and Larry P. Ritzman, Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 29, No. 1, January 2008, pp. 79-91.
- “Process Drivers of E-Service Quality: Analysis of Data from an Online Rating Site,” with Gregory R. Heim, Journal of Operations Management, Vol. 25, No. 5, August 2007, pp. 962-984.
- “Uncertainty Reduction Approaches, Uncertainty Coping Approaches, and Process Performance in Financial Services,” with Larry P. Ritzman, M. Hossein Safizadeh, and Charles E. Downing, Decision Sciences Journal, Vol. 37, No. 2, May 2006, pp. 149-175.
Dr. Field serves on the Decision Sciences Institute Board of Directors. She has co-chaired the 2012 and 2013 Art & Science of Service conferences and is the conference chair for the 2015 Northeast Decision Sciences Institute conference.