Books and articles that matter
One of the best books I’ve read about a customer-driven approach to business is Inside Intuit: How the Makers of Quicken Beat Microsoft and Revolutionized an Entire Industry, by Suzanne E. Taylor and Kathy Schroeder (Harvard Business School Press, 2003). More »
- Michael G. Pratt, whose research focuses on organizational and professional identity, was named the inaugural holder of the O’Connor Family Professorship. Pratt is also a fellow of the Winston Center for Leadership and Ethics and director of the Carroll School’s doctoral program in organization studies. More »
- G. Peter Wilson, who has won teaching awards while on the faculties of Stanford Business School, MIT’s Sloan School of Management, and Boston College, and from the American Accounting Association and the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, is featured in a story highlighting exemplary “master teachers” in Boston College Magazine. More »
- Dean Andy Boynton was among the leaders of Boston College schools tapped to speak at the Alumni Association’s Deans Series. He presented a talk titled “Innovation and Teamwork” to a sold-out crowd at the Boston College Club in October. View video »
- The finding by Linda Salisbury and Katherine (Kay) Lemon (l–r) that consumers pay less to credit cards when minimum payment amounts are included on bills was published in the Journal of Marketing Research and cited by the Wall Street Journal. More »
- Dow Jones MarketWatch featured Jonathan Reuter’s study suggesting that, under the right conditions, active mutual fund management works as well as indexing. He presented the research earlier this year at the Harvard Finance Seminar and the Boston College Center for Asset Management conference. More »
- Christine O’Brien’s paper on the first Facebook firing case, settled earlier this year, in which an employee was fired for posting negative comments about her boss, appears in the current issue of Suffolk University Law Review. It made the daily Social Science Research Network top 10 downloads list in the Labor and Employment Law category.
In the news
- Alicia H. Munnell was quoted by Reuters in a story on a new approach to 401(k) plans proposed by J.P. Morgan Asset Management.
- John Gallaugher discussed Apple’s pricing strategy for the iPad with the Times of India.
- Edward J. Kane was interviewed by the Wall Street Journal about the difficulty of figuring out who pays the price when a financial crisis strikes.
- Matt Horne, a U.S. Navy veteran now in the Naval Reserve; Lt. Stephen Hart of the U.S. Coast Guard; and U.S. Marine Corps 2nd Lt. Kevin Cuomo (l–r) are currently pursuing graduate degrees at the Carroll School.
- Besting 20 other team representatives, Cristina DeLeon ’13 gave the winning 60-second pitch at the second annual Elevator Pitch Contest. BostInnovations.com covered the Boston College Venture Competition event. More »
Awards and recognition
- Jeffrey Pontiff was awarded a $10,000 grant from the Institute for Quantitative Research in Finance for his project “The Observer Effect: Does Publication Destroy Return Predictability?”
- Billy Soo received the 2011 Distinguished Alumnus Award from the University of the Philippines College of Business Administration.