James Keenan, S.J.
STL, STD, Gregorian University, Rome
MDiv, Weston Jesuit School of Theology, Cambridge, MA
BA, Fordham University, New York
Jim Keenan has been a Jesuit of the New York Province since 1970 and an ordained priest since 1982.
Fundamental moral theology; history of theological ethics; Thomas Aquinas; virtue ethics; HIV/AIDS; genetics; Church leadership ethics
Fundamental Moral Theology
Twentieth Century Catholic Moral Theology
New Testament and Ethics
The Church and Ethics: Contemporary and Historical Cases
The Human Body
The Ethics of Thomas Aquinas
Ethical Issues of HIV/AIDS
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES AND AWARDS
- Board of Directors, Catholic Theological Society of America (CTSA). 2012-
- Fellow, Institute for Advanced Studies in the Humanities, University of Edinburgh.
- Fellow, Center of Theological Inquiry, Princeton
- Grant and Faculty Fellowship, Association of Theological Schools,
- Tuohy Chair, John Carroll University;
- Gasson Chair, Boston College
- Alpha Sigma Nu National Book Award (2002) Catholic Ethicists on HIV/AIDS
- Consultant to National Conference of Catholic Bishops for the Revision of the Ethical Guidelines for Catholic Health Care Institutions. 1988-1995
- Editorial Board Member of Theological Studies. 1991-
- Series Editor, Moral Traditions, Georgetown University Press. 1993-
- Chair, Catholic Theological Coalition on HIV/AIDS Prevention. 1997-
- Board of Trustees, John Carroll University. 1999-2002
- Group Leader, Surgeon General’s Task Force on Responsible Sexual Conduct. 2000-2002
- Advisor, Global AIDS Interfaith Alliance. 2000-
- Board of Directors, Society of Christian Ethics. 2001-
- Chair, Catholic Theological Ethics in the World Church. 2003-
- Adjunct Professor, Gregorian University, Rome: Loyola School of Theology, Manila.
“The History of Catholic Moral Theology,” Uzochukwu Jude Njoku and Simon O. Anyanwu, ed., In the Service of Charity and Truth: Essays in Honour of Bishop Lucius Ugorji (New York: Peter Lang, 2012) 13-22.
"Living the Truth: Fundamental Theological Ethics," Theological Studies 73.1 (2012) 151-168.
“Bernard Häring’s Influence on American Catholic Moral Theology,” Journal of Moral Theology 1.1 (2012) 23-42.
Catholic Theological Ethics, Past, Present, and Future: The Trento Conference. (Orbis, 2011); (Bangalore: Theological Publications in India, 2012).
“Conscience,” 167-168; “Contrition,” 175; “Double Effect, Principle of,” 246-247; “Habit,” 345-346; “Subsidiarity,” 755, In Dictionary of Scripture and Ethics edited by Joel Green, (Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2011).
"Catholic Ethics in Manifold Voices: An Interview with James Keenan," Asian Christian Review 5.1 (2011) 4-10.
"Conscience," Dialogue: A Journal of Religion and Philosophy 36 (April 2011) 16-20.
"(The Lack of) Professional Ethics in the Academy," Louvain Studies 35 (2011) 98-116.
Co-authored with Andrea Vicini, "O futuro da Bioética" ("The Future of Bioethics") Bioethikos, 5.1 (2011) 10-20.
A History of Catholic Moral Theology in the Twentieth Century: From Confessing Sins to Liberating Consciences. (Continuum, 2010); (Bangalore: Theological Publications in India, 2011).
"What Happened at Trento 2010?," Theological Studies 72.1 (2011) 131-149.
The Ethics of the Word: Voices in the Catholic Church Today. (Rowman and Littlefield, 2010).
Edited With Agnes Brazal, Aloysius Cartagenas, and Eric Genilo, ed., Transformative Theological Ethics: East Asian Contexts (Quezon City: Ateoneo de Manila University Press, 2010).
Co-authored with Daniel Harrington, Paul and Virtue Ethics (New York: Rowman and Littlefield, 2010).
“Contemporary Contributions to Sexual Ethics,” Theological Studies 71 (2010) 148-167.
Moral Wisdom: Lessons and Texts from the Catholic Tradition. Second, revised edition (Sheed and Ward, 2009).
"HIV/AIDS: The Expanding Ethical Challenge," Eugene Duffy and Patrick Hannon, ed., Beauty, Truth and Love: Essays in Honour of Enda McDonagh (Dublin: Columba Press, 2009) 126-148.
"Impasse and Solidarity in Theological Ethics," Catholic Theological Society of America Proceedings 64 (2009) 47-60.
The Works of Mercy: The Heart of Catholicism. Second edition (Sheed and Ward, 2007).
Catholic Theological Ethics in the World Church: The Plenary Papers from the First Cross-cultural Conference on Catholic Theological Ethics. (Continuum, 2007).