Under a program of cross-registration, sophomores, juniors, and seniors may take one elective course during each semester at Boston University, Brandeis University, Hebrew College, Hellenic College, Pine Manor College, Regis College, or Tufts University if a similar course is not available at Boston College.
Note: The Department of Sociology normally will not approve requests for core courses or major requirements taken outside of Boston College.
- For BC undergraduate students wanting to take courses at participating universities
- For undergraduate students from other consortium schools wanting to attend BC sociology courses
- Non-theology undergraduate students wanting to take courses at Boston University, Brandeis, Tufts, Pine Manor, Regis, or Hellenic College need to complete a "Petition for Cross Registration" form. These forms can be found in McGuinn 426, as well as in the basement of Lyons Hall in the self-service area.
- The student fills out the top of the form (personal and demographic information) and has the bottom left side signed by a Student Services rep, student's advisor and student's Dean. View list of class deans.
- The student then goes to the desired consortium school and has that Registrar and the instructor of the course sign the bottom right side of the form.
- One copy remains with the other Registrar and one copy is returned to BC Student Services. The student pays BC for the course. BC tuition is charged for the course and for any applicable fees.
BC will create a course number for the student's transcript. Course numbers will match the original number, with a substitute prefix. For instance, XT would be the prefix for a Tufts course.
Each school has its own registration form, which will indicate what signatures are needed. Note that BC doesn't sign cross-registration petitions for visiting students until drop/add week. See calendar for drop/add dates. The Approach Map indicates how to get to the Chestnut Hill campus, and the Campus Map shows where various buildings are located. Our web page gives faculty email addresses and office hours.