French and Spanish Placement Exam
romance languages and literatures
“Knowing more than one language enhances opportunities in government, business, law, medicine and health care, teaching, technology, the military, communications, industry, social service, and marketing.”
— Modern Language Association of America
Placement Test in French and Spanish
This test is designed to help you determine the most appropriate course level for the language you have studied. The test usually takes about 30 minutes to complete, consists of multiple choice questions, and covers grammar, vocabulary, and reading comprehension. Once you have completed the test, you will be able to view your score and your suggested placement.
Guidelines for Spanish Placement during the Summer
Incoming first-year and transfer students should take the Romance Languages and Literatures online placement exam in Spanish before attending orientation. Information about the placement test can be found below “Taking the Test”.
Students who have received a score for the AP or SAT II Spanish Language exam before coming to orientation should review the Placement Guidelines for Spanish in the Academic Planning Workbook provided with your orientation materials.
If you score above 500 on the Placement Exam or do not receive your AP score before orientation, you should discuss placement with a faculty member at the Foreign Language Resource Table before you register for classes.
Students who have placed out of Intermediate Spanish should follow these guidelines:
Students BEGINNING CCR I (RL 215) should
- have taken Intermediate 2, OR
- have received a score of 3 on the AP Spanish Language Exam, OR
- have received a score of 550 to 650 on the SAT II Spanish Language Exam.
Students BEGINNING CCR 2 (RL 216) should
- have taken CCR1, OR
- have received a score of 4 on the AP Spanish Language Exam, OR
- have received a score of at least 600 to 650 on the SAT II Spanish Language Exam.
Students BEGINNING Naturalmente (RL 392) should
- have taken CCR 2, OR
- have received a 5 on the AP Spanish Language Exam, OR
- have received above 700 on the SAT II.
Students BEGINNING Contextos (RL 395)
- have received a score of 5 on the AP Spanish Literature exam.
Instructors and students should confer on the first day of class in September to confirm accurate placement.
Taking the placement test does not fulfill the language requirement. For information on the Language Requirements in the College of Arts and Sciences and the Carroll School of Management, consult the University's Academic Policies and Procedures.
The test is offered online and can be taken at any time. You will need your BC username; the password is eagles1. For questions about the test, email the Placement Test Coordinator, Professor Andrea Javel.
There is no placement test in Italian. For questions about Italian placement, email Professor Brian O'Connor.
For advising on placement in:
- Elementary and Intermediate French, email Professor Andrea Javel;
- French CCR and Intensive French for Proficiency, email Professor Jeff Flagg;
- Elementary Spanish, email Professor Debbie Rusch;
- Intermediate Spanish, email Professor Catherine Lange;
- Spanish CCR and Naturalmente, email the department at email@example.com.