Dr. Vidya Madhavan
professor of physics
Areas of Research
Experimental studies of correlated electron systems (including cuprates and pnictides) and magnetic systems with low temperature Scanning Tunneling Microscopy (STM), spectroscopy (STS) and spin-polarized STM.
- Dawn A. Bonnell, D. N. Basov, Matthias Bode, Ulrike Diebold, Sergei V. Kalinin, Vidya Madhavan, Miquel Salmeron, Udo D. Schwarz, Paul S. Weiss, Imaging physical phenomena with local probes – from electrons to photons, spanning continuum to quantum interactions, Rev. Mod. Phys. 84, 1343 (2012)
- M.L. Cummings, T.Y. Chien, C. Preissner, V. Madhavan, D. Diesing, M. Bode, J.W. Freeland, V. Rose Combining Scanning Tunneling Microscopy and Synchrotron Radiation for High-Resolution Imaging and Spectroscopy with Chemical, Electronic, and Magnetic Contrast, Ultramicroscopy 112, 22 (2012)
- Yoshinori Okada, Wenwen Zhou, C. Dhital, D. Walkup, Stephen D. Wilson & V. Madhavan, Ripple modulated electronic structure of a 3D topological insulator, Nature Communications 3 1158, (2012)
- Yoshinori Okada, Wenwen Zhou, C. Dhital, D. Walkup, Ying Ran, Z. Wang, Stephen D. Wilson & V. Madhavan, Visualizing Landau levels of Dirac electrons in a one dimensional potential, Phys. Rev. Lett. 109, 166407 (2012)
- J.-H. Ma, Z.-H. Pan, F. C. Niestemski, M. Neupane, Y.-M. Xu, P. Richard, K. Nakayama, T. Sato, T. Takahashi, H.-Q. Luo, L. Fang, H.-H. Wen, Z. Wang, H. Ding, and V. Madhavan, "Coexistence of Competing Orders with Two Energy Gaps in Real and Momentum Space in the High Temperature Superconductor Bi2Sr2-xLaxCuO6+," Phys. Rev. Lett. 101, 207002 (2008).
- F.C. Niestemski, S. Kunwar, S. Zhou, Sh. Li, H. Ding, Z. Wang, P. Dai, and V. Madhavan, "A Distinct Bosonic Mode in an Electron-Doped High-Transition-Temperature Superconductor," Nature 450, 1058 (2007).
- V. Madhavan, T. Jamneala, K. Nagaoka, W. Chen, J-L. Li, S. G. Louie, and M. F. Crommie, "Observation of Spectral Evolution During the Formation of a Ni2 Kondo Molecule," Phys. Rev. B 66, 212411 (2002).
- K. M. Lang, V. Madhavan, J. E. Hoffman, E.W. Hudson, H. Eisaki, S. Uchida, and J. C. Davis, “Imaging the Granular Structure of High-Tc Superconductivity in Underdoped Bi2Sr2CaCu2O8+," Nature 415, 412 (2002).
- J. E. Hoffman, E.W. Hudson, K.M. Lang, V. Madhavan, S.H. Pan, H. Eisaki, S. Uchida, and J.C. Davis, “A Four Unit Cell Periodic Pattern of Quasi-Particle States Surrounding Vortex Cores in Bi2Sr2CaCu2O8+," Science 295, 466 (2002).
- V. Madhavan, W. Chen, T. Jamneala, M.F. Crommie, and N.S. Wingreen, “Local Spectroscopy of a Kondo Impurity: Co on Au(111),” Phys. Rev. B 64, 165412 (2001).
- T. Jamneala, V. Madhavan, and M.F. Crommie, “Kondo Response of a Single Antiferromagnetic Chromium Trimer,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 87, 256804 (2001).
- E.W. Hudson, K. M. Lang, V. Madhavan, S. H. Pan, H. Eisaki, S. Uchida, and J. C. Davis, “Interplay of Magnetism and High-Tc Superconductivity at Individual Ni Impurity Atoms in Bi2Sr2CaCu2O8+," Nature 411, 920 (2001).
- T. Jamneala, V. Madhavan, W. Chen, and M.F. Crommie, "Scanning Tunneling Spectroscopy of Transition-Metal Impurities at the Surface of Gold,” Phys. Rev. B 61, 9990 (2000).
- W. Chen, T. Jamneala, V. Madhavan, and M. F. Crommie, “Disappearance of the Kondo Resonance for Artificailly Fabricated Cobalt Dimers,” Phys. Rev. B 60, R8529 (1999).
- V. Madhavan, W. Chen, T. Jamneala, M.F. Crommie, and N.S. Wingreen, “Tunneling into a Single Magnetic Atom: Spectroscopic Evidence of the Kondo Resonance,” Science 280, 567 (1998).
- W. Chen, V. Madhavan, T. Jamneala, and M.F. Crommie, “Scanning Tunneling Microscopy Observation of an Electronic Superlattice at the Surface of Clean Gold,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 80, 1469 (1998).