Dr. Gabor J. Kalman
distinguished research professor of physics
Higgins Hall 330B
Diploma of E.E. Polytechnical University, Budapest,
Hungary, D.Sc. (T. A.: Nathan Rosen)
Technion, Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
Areas of Research
- Strongly coupled Coulomb systems: plasmas, electron liquid in 3 and 2 dimensions.
- Charged particle layered systems, bilayers.
- Complex (dusty, colloidal) plasmas; plasma crystals.
- Dense plasmas; plasma phase transitions.
- Linear and nonlinear response functions and fluctuation-dissipation theorems.
- Research Professor, Boston College, Chestnut Hill, MA
- Visiting Professor, Brandeis University, Waltham, MA
- Directeur de Recherche, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Université de Paris, Orsay, France
- Professeur Associé, Université de Paris, Orsay, France
- Lecturer, Technion, Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
- Research Scientist, Central Research Institute for Physics Academy of Sciences, Budapest, Hungary
- Visiting Fellow, Joint Institute for Laboratory Astrophysics, University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado
- Expert, Air Force Cambridge Research Laboratories
- Visiting Scientist, Observatoire de Paris, Meudon, France
- Visiting Scientist, Groupe de Recherches Ionospheriques du CNRS, Orleans, France
- Senior Visiting Scientist, University of Oxford, Great Britain
- Professeur d'Echange, Université de Paris and Observatoire de Paris, Meudon, France
- Associate (Honorary), Centre for Astrophysics, Harvard University
- Research Leader, Centre for Theoretical Physics, Trieste, Italy
- Visiting Scholar, UCSD, La Jolla, CA
- Consultant, UCSD, La Jolla, CA
- Director, NATO Summer Institutes
- Int. Adv. Board, Int. Conf. on Strongly Coupled Coulomb Systems and Int. Workshop on the Physics of Nonideal Plasmas.
- Fellow: New York Academy of Sciences
- Fellow: American Physical Society
- Member: European Physical Society
- Association for the Advancement of Science
- "Analytical Properties of the Quadratic Density Response and Quadratic Dynamical Structure Functions: Conservation Sum Rules and Frequency Moments," with J.M.Rommel, Phys. Rev. E 54, 3518 (1996).
- "Response Function of the Second Kind in Many Body Systems," with Xiao-Yu Gu and Z.C. Tao, J. Stat. Phys. 70, 887 (1993).
- "Correlations Destroy Acoustic Plasmons in Superlattices," with K.I. Golden, Phys. Status Solidi 180, 533 (1993).
- "Response Functions and Plasmon Dispersion for Strongly Coupled Coulomb Liquids," with K.I. Golden, Phys. Rev. A 41, 5516 (1990).
- "Thomas-Fermi Model for Dense Plasmas," with R. Ying, Phys. Rev. A 40, 3927 (1989).
- "Quadratic Fluctuation-Dissipation Theorem: The Quantum Domain," with Xiao- Yu Gu, Phys. Rev. A 36, 3399 (1987).
- "Approximation Schemes for Strongly Coupled Plasmas: Dynamical Theory," with K.I. Golden, Phys. Rev. A 19, 2112 (1979).
- "Electromagnetic Response in Strong Magnetic Field - I/II," with P. Bakshi and R. Cover, Phys. Rev. D 14, 2532 (1976); D20, 3015 (1979).
- "Superdense Neutron Matter," with V. Canuto and B. Datta, Astrophysical J. 221, 274 (1978).
- "Longitudinal Massive Photon in an External Magnetic Field," with R.A. Cover, Phys. Rev. Lett. 33, 1113 (1974).
- "New Approach to Strongly Coupled Electron Plasmas," with K.I. Golden and M.B. Silevitch, Phys. Rev. Lett. 33, 1547 (1974).
- "Relativistic Fermi Gas Interacting through a Scalar Field," Phys. Rev. D 9, 1656 (1974).
- "Hydrogenic Stark-Zeeman Spectra for Combined Static and Dynamic Fields," with P. Bakshi and A. Cohn, Phys. Rev. Lett. 31, 1576 (1973).
- "Linear Stark Effect Due to Resonant Interactions of Static and Dynamic Fields," with P. Bakshi and A. Cohn, Phys. Rev. Lett. 29, 326 (1973).
- "Non-Linear Fluctuation-Dissipation Theorem," with K.I. Golden and M.B. Silevitch, J. Stat. Phys. 6, 87 (1972).
- "Lagrangian Formalism in Relativistic Dynamics," Phys. Rev. 123, 384 (1961).
- "Non-linear Oscillations and Non-stationary Flow in a Zero Temperature Plasma I./II," Ann. Phys. (N.Y.) 10 (1) 29 (1960).
Selected Books Edited, Chapters in Books
- Strongly Coupled Coulomb Systems, edited by Gabor J. Kalman, Martin P. Rommel and Krastan B. Blagoev, Plenum Press, NY (1997).
- Strongly Coupled Plasmas, edited by Gabor J. Kalman and Paul Carini, Plenum Press, NY (1977).
- Topics on Plasma Response Functions in Plasma Physics, Ecole d'Ete de Physique Theorique - Les Houches: 1972, edited by C. deWitt, Gordon and Breach, NY (1975), p. 349.
- "Beam-Plasma Instabilities in a 2D Yukawa Lattice," with S. Kyrkos and M. Rosenberg, Phys. Rev. Lett. 102, 225006 (2009).
- "Ground State of Magnetic Dipoles on a Two-Dimensional Lattice: Structural Phases in Complex Plasmas," with J. D. Feldmann, P. Hartmann, and M. Rosenberg, Phys. Rev. Lett. 100, 085001 (2008).
- "Molecular Dynamics Studies of Solid–Liquid Phase Transition in 2-D Yukawa Systems," with P. Hartmann, Z. Donko, P.M. Bakshi, S. Kyrkos, IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci. 35 (2), 332 (2007).
- "Collective Modes in Strongly Correlated Yukawa Liquids: Waves in Dusty Plasmas," with M. Rosenberg and H. de Witt, Phys. Rev. Lett. 84, 26 (2000).
- "Quasilocalized Charge Approximation in Strongly Coupled Plasma Physics" (review paper), with K.I. Golden, Phys. Plasmas 7, 3124 (2000).
- "Collective Modes in Strongly Coupled Electronic Bilayer Liquids," with V. Valtchinov, K.I. Golden, Phys. Rev. Lett. 82, 3124 (1999).
- "Static and Dynamic Properties of Electronic Bilayers," with V. Valtchinov and K.I. Golden, in Condensed Matter Theories 13, edited by Joao de Providencia and F.B. Malik, Nova Science Publishers, Commack, NY, 1998.
- "Phases in Strongly Coupled Electronic Bilayers," with V. Valtchinov and K.B. Blagoev, Phys. Rev. E 56, 4351 (1997).
- "Plasmons and Shear Waves in Correlated Superlattices," with K.I.Golden, L. Miao and R.R. Snapp, Phys. Rev. B 55, 16349 (1997).
- "Dust Acoustic Waves in Strongly Coupled Dusty Plasmas," with M. Rosenberg, Phys. Rev. E 56, 7166 (1997).
- Theory of Quadratic Response, 23th Int. Workshop on Condensed Matter Theories, Ithaca, Greece (1999).
- Charged Particle Bilayers: Equilibrium and Dynamics, Int. Conference on Strongly Coupled Coulomb Systems, St. Malo, France (1999).
- Theoretical Methods for Strongly Coupled Dusty Plasmas, Tutorial Talk, APS-PPD Annual Meeting, Seattle, WA (1999).
- Collective Modes in Electronic Bilayers, 9th Int. Workshop on the Physics of Nonideal Plasmas, Rostock, Germany (1998).
- Strongly Coupled Coulomb Systems, Nonequilibrium Many Body Dynamics, RIKEN BNL Research Center, Brookhaven National Laboratory, Upton, NY (1997).