research group of willie j. padilla
Assistant Professor, Physics Department, Boston College
2006 - Present
Postdoctoral Fellow, Los Alamos National Laboratory
2004 - 2006
Postdoctoral Researcher, University of California, San Diego
2004 - 2004
Graduate Student Researcher, University of California, San Diego
1997 - 2004
Undergraduate Student Researcher, San Diego State University
1992 - 1996
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Nanotech., Materials Science 2004-2006
University of California, San Diego
Physics Ph.D. 2004
University of California, San Diego
Physics M.S. 2002
San Diego State University
Physics B.S. 1996
Scholarships, Fellowships and Distinguished Appointments
Young Investigator Program - Office of Naval Research
Boston College Junior Faculty Fellow
Los Alamos National Laboratory Director’s Postdoctoral Fellow
Center for Excellence and Advanced Materials Fellowship, UCSD
San Diego Fellowship, UCSD
Center for Magnetic Recording Research Scholarship, UCSD
Research Careers for Minorities in the Sciences Scholarship, SDSU
McNair Scholarship, SDSU
Metrics: Total Publications: 37; Citations: 2328; h-index: 13.
Invited Review Papers
1. Willie J. Padilla, A new class of metamaterials, Nature Materials 6, 922 (2007).
2. W. J. Padilla, D. N. Basov, and D. R. Smith, Negative refractive index metamaterials, Materials Today 9, (No 7-8) 28 (2006).
3. W. J. Padilla, D. R. Smith and D. N. Basov, Spectroscopy of metamaterials from infrared to optical frequencies, Journal of the Optical Society of America B 23, 404 (2006).
4. Hu Tao, C. M. Bingham, A. C. Strikwerda, D. Pilon, D. Shrekenhamer, N. I. Landy, K. Fan, X. Zhang, W. J. Padilla, and R. D. Averitt, Highly-flexible wide angle of incidence terahertz metamaterial absorber, Physical Review B Rapid Communications Accepted (2008).
5. Hu Tao, A C Strikwerda, K Fan, C M Bingham, W J Padilla, Xin Zhang and R D Averitt, Terahertz metamaterials on free-standing highly-flexible polyimide substrates, J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 41, 232004 (2008).
6. Christopher M. Bingham, Hu Tao, Xianliang Liu, Richard D. Averitt, Xin Zhang, and Willie J. Padilla, Planar wallpaper group metamaterials for novel terahertz applications, Optics Express 16, 18565 (2008).
7. Yu Yuan, Christopher Bingham, Talmage Tyler, Sabarni Palit, Thomas H. Hand, Willie J. Padilla, Nan Marie Jokerst, and Steven A. Cummer, A dual-resonant terahertz metamaterial based on single-particle electric-field-coupled resonators, Applied Physics Letters 93, 191110 (2008).
8. Hou-Tong Chen, Sabarni Palit, Talmage Tyler, Christopher M. Bingham, Joshua M. O. Zide, John F. O’Hara, David R. Smith, Arthur C. Gossard, Richard D. Averitt, Willie J. Padilla, Nan M. Jokerst, and Antoinette J. Taylor, Hybrid metamaterials enable fast electrical modulation of freely propagating terahertz waves, Applied Physics Letters 93, 091117 (2008).
9. A. D. LaForge, W. J. Padilla, K. S. Burch, Z. Q. Li, A. A. Schafgans, Kouji Segawa, Yoichi Ando, and D. N. Basov, Sum rules and interlayer infrared response of the high temperature YBa2Cu3Oy superconductor in an external magnetic field, Physical Review Letters 101, 097008 (2008).
10. Yu Yuan, Christopher Bingham, Talmage Tyler, Sabarni Palit, Thomas H. Hand, Willie J. Padilla, David R. Smith, Nan Marie Jokerst, and Steven A. Cummer, Dual-band planar electric metamaterial in the terahertz regime, Optics Express 16, 9746 (2008).
11. Hu Tao, Nathan I. Landy, Christopher M. Bingham, Xin Zhang, Richard D. Averitt, and Willie J. Padilla, A metamaterial absorber for the terahertz regime: Design, fabrication and characterization, Optics Express 16, 7181 (2008).
12. N.I. Landy, S. Sajuyigbe, J.J. Mock, D.R. Smith, and W. J. Padilla, Perfect metamaterial absorber, Physical Review Letters 100, 207402 (2008).
13. H.-T. Chen, J. F. O’Hara, A. K. Azad, A. J. Taylor, R. D. Averitt, D. B. Shrekenhamer, and W. J. Padilla, Experimental demonstration of frequency-agile terahertz metamaterials, Nature Photonics 2, 295 (2008).
14. A. D. LaForge, W. J. Padilla, K. S. Burch, Z. Q. Li, S. V. Dordevic, Kouji Segawa, Yoichi Ando, and D. N. Basov, Interlayer electrodynamics and unconventional vortex state in YBa2Cu3Oy, Physical Review B 76, 054524 (2007).
15. John F. O’Hara, Evgenya Smirnova, Hou-Tong Chen, A.J. Taylor, R.D. Averitt, Clark Highstrete, Mark Lee, and Willie J. Padilla, Properties of planar electric metamaterials for novel terahertz applications, Journal of Nanoelectronics & Optoelectronics 2, 90 (2007).
16. H.-T. Chen, W.J. Padilla, J.M.O. Zide, S.R. Bank, A.C. Gossard, A.J. Taylor, and R.D. Averitt, Ultrafast optical switching of terahertz metamaterials fabricated on ErAs/GaAs nanoisland superlattices, Optics Letters 32, 1620 (2007).
17. S. C. Nemat-Nasser, A. V. Amirkhizi, W. J. Padilla, D. N. Basov, S. Nemat-Nasser, D. Bruzewicz and G. Whitesides, Terahertz plasmon composites, Physical Review E 75, 036614 (2007).
18. W. J. Padilla, Group theoretical description of artificial electromagnetic metamaterials, Optics Express 15, 1639 (2007).
19. T. Driscoll, D.N. Basov, W.J. Padilla, J.J. Mock, and D. R. Smith, Electromagnetic characterization of planar metamaterials by oblique angle spectroscopic measurements, Physical Review B, 75 115114 (2007).
20. W. J. Padilla, M. T. Aronsson, C. Highstrete, Mark Lee, A. J. Taylor and R. D. Averitt, Electrically resonant terahertz metamaterials: Theoretical and experimental investigations, Physical Review B 75, 041102R (2007).
21. Hou-Tong Chen, John F. O’Hara, Antoinette J. Taylor, Richard D. Averitt, C. Highstrete, Mark Lee, and Willie J. Padilla, Complementary planar terahertz metamaterials, Optics Express 15, 1084 (2007).
22. W.J. Padilla, A.J. Taylor, C. Highstrete, Mark Lee, and R.D. Averitt, Dynamical electric and magnetic metamaterial response at terahertz frequencies, Physical Review Letters 96, 107401 (2006).
23. D.R. Smith, J. Gollub, J.J. Mock, W.J. Padilla, and D. Schurig, Calculation and measurement of bianisotropy in a split ring resonator metamaterial, Journal of Applied Physics 100, 024507 (2006).
24. W. J. Padilla, H.-T. Chen, J.M.O. Zide, A.C. Gossard, A.J. Taylor, and R.D. Averitt, Active terahertz metamaterial devices, Nature 444, 597 (2006).
25. Z. Q. Li, S.-W. Tsai, W. J. Padilla, S. V. Dordevic, K. S. Burch, Y. J. Wang, and D. N. Basov, Infrared probe of the anomalous magnetotransport of highly oriented pyrolytic graphite in the extreme quantum limit, Physical Review B 74, 195404 (2006).
26. Y. S. Lee, Z. Q. Li, W. J. Padilla, S. V. Dordevic, C. C. Homes, K. Segawa, Yoichi Ando, and D. N. Basov, Strong-coupling effects in cuprate high-Tc superconductors by magneto-optical studies, Physical Review B 72, 172511 (2006).
27. W. J. Padilla, M. Dumm, Seiki Komiya, Yoichi Ando, and D. N. Basov, Infrared signatures of hole and spin stripes in La2−xSrxCuO4, Physical Review B 72, 205101 (2005).
28. W. J. Padilla, Y. S. Lee, M. Dumm, G. Blumberg, S. Ono, Kouji Segawa, Seiki Komiya, Yoichi Ando, and D. N. Basov, Constant effective mass across the phase diagram of high-Tc cuprates, Physical Review B 72, 060511 (2005).
29. Y. S. Lee, Kouji Segawa, Z. Q. Li, W. J. Padilla, M. Dumm, S. V. Dordevic, C. C. Homes, Yoichi Ando, and D. N. Basov, Electrodynamics of the nodal metal state in weakly doped high-Tc cuprates, Physical Review B 72, 054529 (2005).
30. W. J. Padilla, Ta-Jen Yen, Nicholas Fang, D. N. Basov, D. Vier, D. R. Smith, J. B. Pendry, and Xiang Zhang, THz magnetic response from artificial materials, Science 303, 1494 (2004).
31. W. J. Padilla, Z. Q. Li, K. S. Burch, Y. S. Lee, K. J. Mikolaitis, and D. N. Basov, Broadband multi-interferometer spectroscopy in high magnetic fields: From THz to visible, Review of Scientific Instruments 75, 4710 (2004).
32. D. N. Basov, S. V. Dordevic, E. J. Singley, W. J. Padilla, K. Burch, J. E. Elenewski, L. H. Greene, J. Morris and R. Schickling, Subterahertz spectroscopy at He-3 temperatures, Review of Scientific Instruments 74, 4703 (2003).
33. A. G. Flores, M. Zazo, J. Iniguez, V. Raposo, C. de Francisco, J. M. Munoz, and W. J. Padilla, Ferromagnetic resonance in double perovskite Ba2FeMoO6, Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials 254-255, 583 (2003).
34. D. Wu, N. Fang, C. Sun, X. Zhang, W. J. Padilla, D. N. Basov, D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, Terahertz plasmonic high pass filter, Applied Physics Letters 83, 201 (2003).
35. W. J. Padilla, D. Mandrus, D. N. Basov, Searching for the Slater transition in the pyrochlore Cd2Os2O7 with infrared spectroscopy, Physical Review B 66, 035120 (2002).
36. D. R. Smith, Willie J. Padilla, D. C. Vier, S. C. Nemat-Nasser, S. Schultz, Composite medium with simultaneously negative permeability and permittivity, Physical Review Letters 84, 4184 (2000).
37. D. R. Smith, D. C. Vier, Willie Padilla, Syrus C. Nemat-Nasser, S. Schultz, Loop-wire medium for investigating plasmons at microwave frequencies, Applied Physics Letters 75, 1425 (1999).
- Currently authoring book on Theory, Simulation, and Experimentation Characterization of Electromagnetic Metamaterials for the Springer series on Engineering Materials and Processes.
- Authored chapter entitled Active and Dynamic Terahertz Metamaterial Devices for the Handbook of Artificial Materials. Vol. II edited by Filippo Capolino to be published by Taylor and Francis CRC Press.
- Organizer and host of the International Workshop on Electromagnetic Metamaterials, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM, January 2006.
- Organizer and host of the International Workshop on Electromagnetic Metamaterials II: Gradient Lenses to Invisibility Cloaks, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM, September 2007.
- Currently organizing the International Workshop on Electromagnetic Metamaterials III, to be held at Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM, May 2009.
- Left handed composite media. United States Patent 6,791,432.
- Composite material having low electromagnetic reflection and refraction. U.S. provisional patent number: 60/293,070. Date filed: 05/23/2001.
- Dynamical / tunable electromagnetic materials and devices. U.S. provisional patent number: 60/780,109. Date filed: 03/08/2006.
- mm-Wave and THz imaging. General Electric Security, 2004-2006.
- Physical Review Letters
- Physical Review
- Applied Physics Letters
- Journal of Applied Physics
- IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters
- Optics Express
- Nature Photonics
- Nature Materials
- National Science Foundation
- Terahertz Metamaterials: Artificial Materials Find a Home. International Workshop on Meta-materials and Plasmonics, Fudan University, Shanghai, China, November 13-15, 2008.
- Electromagnetic Metamaterials: New Opportunities for Novel Devices. International Workshop on Metamaterials, Nanjing, China, November 9–12, 2008.
- Novel Terahertz Metamaterials: There’s Plenty of Room in the Middle. Duke University, Electrical and Computer Engineering Seminar, October 30, 2008.
- Metamaterials: New developments in electricity and magnetism 140 years after Maxwell's equations. Brown University, Physics Colloquium, October 20, 2008.
- Frequency Tunable / Agile Metamaterials. 2nd International Congress on Advanced Electromagnetic Materials in Microwaves and Optics, Pamplona, Spain , September 21-26, 2008.
- Perfect Metamaterial Based Absorber for GHz – THz Imaging. Laboratory for Physical Sciences, University of Maryland College Park, Physics Seminar August 17, 2008.
- Narrow-band perfect metamaterial based absorber for terahertz imaging. International Conference on Optical and Optoelectronic Properties of Materials and Applications, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, July 20-25, 2008.
- Metamaterials for the terahertz gap: There's plenty of room in the middle. University of Austin Texas, Physics Colloquium, April 9, 2008.
- Opto-electronic control of metamaterials: New materials for the terahertz gap. Tufts University, Electrical & Computer Engineering Seminar, February 12, 2008.
- Metamaterials for novel devices. 38th Winter Colloquium on The Physics of Quantum Electronics, Snowbird, Utah, January 6-10, 2008.
- Optoelectronic control of terahertz metamaterials. SPIE International Symposium on Microelectronics, MEMS, and Nanotechnology, The Australian National Univ., Canberra, ACT Australia, December 4-7, 2007.
- Metamaterial electric and magnetic plasmons. IEEE LEOS Plasmonics Workshop, MIT Lincoln Laboratory, Lexington, MA, October 30, 2007.
- The emergence of metamaterial devices: Applications at terahertz frequencies. Metamaterials 2007: The First International Congress on Advanced Electromagnetic Materials for Microwaves and Optics, Rome, Italy, October 22-26, 2007.
- Metamaterial electronics: New devices for the terahertz. International Workshop on Electromagnetic Metamaterials, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM, September 5-6, 2007.
- Terahertz frequency metamaterial devices. Photonic and Electromagnetic Crystal Structures VII, Monterey, California, April 8-11, 2007.
- Metamaterials for novel terahertz and millimeter wave devices. International Symposium on Signals, Systems, and Electronics (ISSSE 2007), Montréal, Québec, Canada, July 30 – August 2, 2007.
- Opening Plenary Lecture - Metamaterial electronics. SPIE Europe Congress on Optics and Optoelectronics, Prague, Czech Republic, April 16-20, 2007.
- Novel metamaterial devices: Experimental demonstrations at terahertz frequencies. Components from Metamaterials Workshop, Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), Arlington, VA, May 2-3, 2007.
- Terahertz metamaterials for active, tunable, and dynamic devices. The 1st European Topical Meeting on Nanophotonics and Metamaterials, Seefeld, Tirol, Austria, January 8-11, 2007.
- Active, dynamic, and tunable metamaterials at terahertz frequencies. 2006 Materials Research Society Fall Meeting, Boston, MA, November 27 – December 1, 2006.
- Active terahertz metamaterials. University of Connecticut, Physics Department Seminar, October 2006.
- Photonic Metamaterials: From Random to Periodic, Optical Society of America, Grand Bahama Island, Bahamas, June 5-8, 2006.
- Left handed metamaterials. Workshop on Negative Index Metamaterials and Related Phenomena, Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China, August 2005.
- THz spectroscopy and ellipsometry of magnetic metamaterials. PIERS (Progress in Electromagnetics Research Symposium), Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China, August 2005.
- THz metamaterials. PECS-VI: International Symposium on Photonic and Electromagnetic Crystal Structures, Aghia Pelaghia, Crete, Greece, June 19-24, 2005.
- Metamaterials: From microwave to THz and beyond. Photonics West 2005, San Jose, CA, January 22-27, 2005.
- Metamaterials: From microwave to THz and beyond. Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, CA, 2004.
- THz magnetic response from artificial materials.APS March Meeting, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, March 22-26, 2004.
- Infrared spectroscopy of THz metamaterials. PIERS (Progress in Electromagnetics Research Symposium), Honolulu, HI, October 13-16, 2003.
- Artificial magnetic response at THz frequencies. WIRMS (Workshop on Infrared Microscopy and Spectroscopy), Lake Tahoe, CA, July 8-11, 2003.
- Unusual anisotropic electromagnetic response in lightly doped La2-xSrxCuO4. APS March Meeting 2003, Austin, TX, March 3-7, 2003.
- Infrared spectroscopy of metamaterials. Department of Defense MURI Metamaterials and Devices, Coronado, CA, June 2002.
- American Physical Society
- IEEE – Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- SPIE – Society of Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers
- Optical Society of America
- European Physical Society
- Graduate Level: Physics 910 – Special Topics – Advanced Electromagnetic Wave Theory
- Graduate Level: Physics 761 – Condensed Matter Physics I
- Graduate Level: Physics 762 – Condensed Matter Physics II
- Chair of the Colloquium Committee 2008-2009
- Chair of the Faculty Experimental Search Committee 2008-2009
- Media and Technology Committee Fall 2007
- Colloquium Committee Fall 2007-2008
- Ronald E. McNair Scholarship Advisory Committee
Thesis Supervision and Advising
- Advisor for four Ph.D. candidates
- Advisor for four undergraduate students performing research