MA, History, Boston College
MA, Arab Studies, Georgetown University
BA, Middle Eastern Studies, University of California, Berkeley
Nineteenth Century Ottoman Empire; Ottoman Empire in the Arab Provinces; Ottoman Diplomacy in the Indian Ocean; The Caliphate and Pan-Islamism.
“Desert Saints or Lions Without Teeth?: British Portrayals of Bedouin Masculinity in the Nineteenth-Century Arabian Peninsula.” Arab Studies Journal. XVII:1 (Spring 2009): 85-97.
Awards and Fellowships:
- J. William Fulbright U.S. Student Program – Istanbul, Turkey – 2012/2013
- Clough Center for Constitutional Democracy Summer Research Stipend – Summer 2012
- Harvard University/Koc University Intensive Ottoman and Turkish Summer School – Cunda, Turkey – Summer 2012
- State Department/CAORC Critical Language Scholarship – Advanced Intermediate Turkish – TÖMER/Ankara University (Ankara, Turkey) – Summer 2010
- State Department/CAORC Critical Language Scholarship – Beginning Turkish – American Research Institute in Turkey (ARIT)/Izmir University of Economics (Izmir, Turkey) – Summer 2009