PhD in History, Boston College
MA (With Distinction) in History, Boston College
BA (Magna Cum Laude) in History, Emory College
- “Under the Eyes of God: Religion, Southerners, and the Civil War,” in The Journal of the North Carolina Association of Historians. Volume 14 (April 2006): pp. 51-70
- “Susan B. Anthony,” in Encyclopedia of Early Republic and Antebellum America, under preparation
- “Lutherans and Learning: The Interconnection of Religion and Education for Nineteenth-Century North Carolina Lutherans,” The Journal of Lutheran Historical Conference, forthcoming.
- “The Interconnection of Religion and Education for Nineteenth Century North Carolina Lutherans,” Lutheran Historical Conference, Luther Seminary, St. Paul, Minnesota, October 2010.
- “Holding Onto the Ties that Bind: North Carolina Lutherans and the Coming of the Civil War, The Annual Graduate Student American Political History Conference, Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts, April 2010.
- “Here We Stand? Revivals, and the Struggle for Lutheran Distinctiveness.” The New England Historical Association. University of Southern Maine, Portland, Maine, April 2009.
- “Drinking, Dancing, Dueling: North Carolina Lutherans and Southern Honor Culture.” Biennial Boston College Religious Conference, Boston College, Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts, March 2008
- “Under the Eyes of God: Religion, Southerners, and the Civil War.” Engendering War, Peace and Justice Conference, Georgian Court University, Lakewood, New Jersey, October 2007
- “The Abortion Connection: NOW’s struggle for Abortion Rights and the ERA.” The Brian Bertoti History Conference, Virginia Tech., Blacksburg, Virginia, March 2007
- “Under the Eyes of God: Religion, Southerners, and the Civil War.” The Brian Bertoti History Conference, Virginia Tech., Blacksburg, Virginia, March 2006
Fellowships and Awards
- Archie K. Davis Fellowship, The North Caroliniana Society, 2011
- Boston College Dissertation Fellowship, 2008-2009
- Boston College Summer Research Grant, Summer 2007
- Phi Alpha Theta Doctoral Scholarship Award, Summer 2007
- Boston College Graduate Student Association Research Expense Grant, Spring 2007
- University Fellowship, Boston College, 2003-2010
- Theodore Henley Jack Award, October 2003 — Award given to an Emory history major to support graduate study in American history