the guestbook project
Founded in 2008 by philosopher Richard Kearney and others, and sponsored by Boston College, the Guestbook Project is an ongoing artistic, academic, and multi-media experiment in hospitality. The project’s core themes are the relationship between host and stranger; violence and reconciliation; the citizen and the alien. The aim of the project is to welcome the stranger as guest through a scholarly and philosophical investigation of hospitality through text, performance, film and the digital arts
The Guestbook Project consists of the following components:
- Interdisciplinary International Seminar directed by Richard Kearney (Boston College-MIT-Georgetown-Derry-Bangadore-Mitrovica-Jerusalem-Dubrovnik) (2009-2013)
- Interreligious Cconference, titled 'Hosting the Stranger: Between Religions' (Boston College, 2009)
- Philosophy Conference, titled 'Phenomologies of the Stranger’ (Boston College, 2009)
- International Poetry festival, titled 'Poetries of the Strangers'
(Boston College, 2009)
- Concert, titled ‘Songs of the Sacred Welcome’ (Boston College, 2009)
- Eleven International Guestbook events on hospitality/hostility (Bangalore, Mitrovica, Derry, Glenstal Abbey, Skellig Islands, New York City, Jerusalem, Detroit, Georgetown, Mexican Border, Dokto Islands (2009-2013)
- Ten documentary films based on the international events (2009-2013)
- Two book publications, titled Phenomologies of the Stranger: Between Hostility and Hospitality, ed. Richard Kearney and Kascha Semonovitch (Fordham University Press, 2011) and Hosting the Stranger: Between Religions, ed Richard Kearney and James Taylor (Continuum Press, 2011)
- Two special journal issues, New Arcadia Review, ed Tom Epstein (2010) and Religion and the Arts, ed Chris Yates (2011)
- Online interactive Web site directed by Murray Littlejohn
10) Boston College-Georgetown Intervarsity Seminar on Hospitality Across the Divide (Richard Kearney, Sheila Gallagher, Robert Savage, Fanny Howe), 2012.
- Murray Littlejohn website and blog etc. 2013-014.
- Guestbook International Prize 'Exchanging Stories -Changing Histories' 2014-2015.
- Boston College Guestbook Seminar on 'Narrative Imagination' (Richard Kearney, Sheila Gallagher, Robert Savage), 2015