fine arts department
Adjunct Associate Professor
Assistant Chair for Studio Art
BA, Queens College, 1963
Devlin Hall 414
Andrew Tavarelli is the assistant chair of the Fine Arts Department in studio. He teaches painting and drawing and is the director of the Senior Project Program for studio majors. In addition to his teaching, he has curated exhibitions of contemporary art and Indonesian tribal art for the McMullen Museum. He has also published articles and exhibition catalogues in the field of indigenous art from Indonesia.
- Voice of the Spirits, Boston College Art Gallery, 1989.
- Protection Power and Display, Indigenous Art of Indonesia, McMullen Museum of Art,
Boston College, 1995.
He has received three National Endowment for the Arts awards, two for his work in painting and one in support of the exhibition "Protection Power and Display." In addition, Tavarelli has been awarded a New York State CAPS grant for drawing, a Blanche E. Colman award in the Arts, a St. Botolph Club award, and a number of Faculty Research Grants from Boston College.
Tavarelli is a widely exhibited painter with 27 solo exhibitions that include:
- Fischbach Gallery, NYC, Haber-Theodore Gallery, NYC, Parker Street 470, Boston, MA.
- Harcus Krakow Rosen Sonnabend Gallery, Boston, MA.
- Gallery Naga, Boston, MA.
- Rose Museum, Brandeis University, Waltham, MA.
- University of Connecticut, Avery Point, CT.
- Hayden Gallery, MIT Cambridge, MA.
He has also been included in numerous group exhibitions including:
- "Whitney Biennial," Whitney Museum of American Art, NYC.
- "Painted in Boston," ICA, Boston, MA.
- "Art on Paper," Weatherspoon Art Gallery, University of North Carolina.
- "Painting and Sculpture Today," Indianapolis Museum of Art, IN.
- "Maps," Museum of Modern Art, NYC.
- "Inspired by Nature," McMullen Museum, Boston College, Chestnut Hill, MA.
- "A Private Vision, The Graham Gund Collection," Boston Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, MA.