fine arts department
Artist-in-Residence, MIT, Cambridge, MA, 2002-2003
M.F.A., New York University, 1998
B.A., Boston College, 1980
Devlin Hall 418
Although academically trained at the New York Arts Student League, since 1994 Mary Sherman has been creating work that seeks to stretch the definition of painting beyond its traditional role as a flat, immutable, and silent image on a wall, leading her to explore a variety of new media and computer modeling programs. Her works have been widely exhibited both nationally and internationally, including at New York City's Trans Hudson Gallery, Maine's Institute of Contemporary Art, New Hampshire's Currier Museum of Art, Chicago's Oskar Friedl Gallery, Seoul's Kwanhoon Art Gallery, Venice's Instituto Universitario d'Architettura di Venezia, the London Biennale, and Vienna's WUK Kunsthalle. She has received grants or fellowships from the Boston Cultural Council, LEF Foundation, Ragdale Foundation, National Portrait Gallery (Washington, DC), and New York University. She also writes criticism for a number of publications, has curated shows both in the United States and abroad, and is the president of the award-winning TransCultural Exchange, dedicated to fostering a greater understanding of other cultures through artist-run ventures. Along with teaching painting and drawing at Boston College, she has taught at MIT, Northeastern University, and Emmanuel College.
- September 1-14, S.L.A.P. A.i.R. (Artist-in-Residence), Martha’s Vineyard, MA
- Moderator, “International Artists-in-Residencies,” The Derryfield School’s Lyceum, Manchester, NH. October 15, 2011.
- Art critic for a number of newspapers, as well as a frequent contributor to a number of national and international publications
- Editorial Advisory Board Member for drawing textbook On Drawing, Collegiate Press, San Diego, CA, 1999
- Art Editor, Another Chicago Magazine
- Her art works have also appeared as covers for Penguin Books, New American Paintings, Harvard University Press, and A Common Reader.
Selected Individual Exhibitions
- 2011 - Boston Sculptors Gallery, Boston, MA, Waiting for Yves.
- 2011 - Boston Sculptors Gallery, Boston, MA, Scoop.
- 2011 - Samson Gallery, Boston, MA, Chain Letter.
- 2011 - Boston Sculptors Gallery, Boston, MA Strand.
- 2003 - Framingham State College, Mazmanian Art Gallery, Framingham, MA.
- 2003 - Boston City Hall, Boston, MA.
- 2001 - Gallery X, NY, NY, Mary Sherman: When is a Painting not a Painting.
- 2000 - Emmanuel College, Boston, MA, Off the Wall: Painted Constructions.
- 1999 - District Fine Arts, Washington, DC, Mary Sherman: An Urban Sky.
- 1998 - Plains Art Museum, Fargo, ND, (catalog).
- 1998 - New York University, Rosenberg Gallery, NY, NY, Dissecting the Cube.
- 1995 - Harvard University, Adams Artspace, Cambridge, MA, (catalog).
- 1995 - Instituto Universitario d'Architettura di Venezia, Venice, Italy, Manipulated Space, (outdoor installation).
Selected Group Exhibitions
- 2002 - University of Massachusetts, Hampden Gallery, Amherst, MA.
- 2002 - Art Complex Museum, Duxbury, MA, Gadgets, Gizmos and Games.
- 2002 - Sesto Senso, Bologna, Italy, Self-Portraits, (July).
- 2002 - Fuller Museum of Art, Brockton, MA, TransCultural Exchange.
- 2002 - Institute of Contemporary Art at Maine College of Art, Portland, ME.
- 2002 - Fine Arts Building, Chicago, IL, Ragdale's 25th Anniversary Exhibition.
- 2002 - The Coaster Project: Destination the World, 100+ sites throughout the world.
- 2001 - Mills Gallery, Boston Center for the Arts, Drawing Show.
- 2001 - University of Massachusetts, Hampden Gallery, Amherst, MA.
- 2001 - Gallery Tonge, Brewster, NY, Anne Faith LaPrade, Mary Sherman, Sarah Walker.
- 2001 - The Dietrich Gallery, Allston, MA, The Dietrich Biennial.
- 2001 - Casa Italiana Zerilli-Marimo, NY, NY.
- 2001 - Arlington Arts Center, Arlington, MA, Constructions.
- 2000 - Contemporary Art Museum, Baltimore, MD, Snapshot, traveling exhibition.
- 2000 - Trans Hudson Gallery, NY, NY, TransCultural Exchange: nomads forever.
- 2000 - London Biennale, London, UK, The Coaster Project.
- 2000 - Massachusetts College of Art, Boston, MA, The Electronic Art Fair.
- 1999 - Kwanhoon Art Gallery, Seoul, South Korea, nomads, (catalog).
- 1999 - New England School of Art & Design/Suffolk University, Boston, MA.
- 1998 - Trans Hudson Gallery, NY, NY, no boundaries.
- 1998 - Right Bank Gallery, Brooklyn, NY.
- Berkshire Fine Arts, “Happenings + Events – TransCultural Exchange’s 3rd Biennale Conference on International Opportunities in the Arts: The Interconnected World,” March 2011.
- Berkshire Fine Arts, “2011 International Opportunities in the Arts,” March 15, 2011, by Astrid Hiemer.
- Berkshire Fine Arts, “Wrap Up TransCultural Exchange Conference 2011,” Apr. 29, 2011, by A. Hiemer.
- Boston Globe, “Aiming to make connections,” April 7, 2011, by Jeffrey Gantz.
- News Cheonji Newspaper, “Real Interview,” August 2011, by Ji In Lee.
- World Journal, “Mr. Candle at MIT,” April 8, 2011, by Kitty Huang.
- World Journal, “TCE-Interconnected World,” April 13, 2011, by Kitty Huang.
- World Journal, “MingCheng Huang,” July 21, 2011, by Kitty Huang.
- BNN TV, “It’s All About Arts,” Interview with Canvas Fine Arts and TransCultural Exchange Conference Speakers, “TransCultural Exchange’s 2011 Conference,” April 2011.