Associate Professor of English
B.A., Earlham College
M.A. University of Chicago
Ph.D., University of New Hampshire
Stokes Hall S415
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467
Specializes in composition theory and creative nonfiction. Interests include history and theory of essay; ways of reading and responding to student writing; and memoir and autobiography.
List of Publications
- Reading Student Writing: Confessions, Meditations, and Rants, Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann Boynton/Cook, 2004.
- Writing Relationships: What Really Happens in the Composition Classroom. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann Boynton/Cook, 1993.
- Taking Stock: Reassessing the Writing Process Movement in the 90s. Co-edited with Thomas Newkirk. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann Boynton/Cook, 1994.
Journal Articles and Book Chapters
- “Process Pedagogy,” A Guide to Composition Pedagogies. Eds. Gary Tate, Amy Rupiper, and Kurt Schick. New York: Oxford UP, 2001: 1-18.
- "The Case for Double-Voiced Discourse," The Elements of Alternate Style: Essays on Writing and Revision. Ed. Wendy Bishop. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann Boynton/Cook, 1997: 44-53.
- "Car Wrecks, Baseball Caps, and Man-to-Man Defense: The Personal Narratives of Adolescent Males." College English 58 (1996): 22-39.
- "Teaching Against the Teaching Against Pedagogy: Reading Our Classrooms, Writing Our Selves." Reader: Essays in Reader-Oriented Theory, Criticism, and Pedagogy 33-34 (1996): 68-84.
- "How the Writing Process Movement Was Born and Other Conversion Narratives," Taking Stock: Reassessing the Writing Process Movement in the 90s. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann Boynton/Cook, 1994.
- "Reading Students, Reading Ourselves: Towards Redefining the Teacher’s Role in the Writing Class." College English 53 (1991): 333-348.
- "In a Radically Different Voice: Gender and Language in the Trials of Anne Hutchinson," Early American Literature 25 (1990): 253-270.
- "Writing Between the Lines." Vital Signs 2: Learning and Using Language Collaboratively. Ed. James Collins. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann Boynton/Cook, 1990.
- "Bridging Gaps: Analyzing Student Metaphors for Composing.” College Composition and Communication 40 (1989): 444-58.
- "Productive Tension in the Writing Conference: Studying Our Students and Ourselves," To Compose: Teaching Writing in High School and College, 2nd ed. Ed. Thomas Newkirk, Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann Books, 1989.
- “Sneaking Into the Movies,” Revelations, Eds. Charles Schuster and Sondra Perl. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann Boynton/Cook, forthcoming, 2009.
- "Sorting Things Out,” Slow Trains Literary Journal, Volume VI, Issue 1, Summer 2006.
- "You Virtually Can’t Get There From Here," The Fourth Genre: Explorations in Nonfiction, Vol. 4, No. 2, 2002, pp. 14-25.
- "You Are Invited.. To Leave," The Fourth Genre: Explorations in Nonfiction, Vol. 1, No. 2, 1999: 44-51.
- "Reading and Writing About Death, Disease, and Dysfunction, or How I Spend My Summer Vacations." Narration and Knowledge" Tales of the Teaching Life. Ed. Joseph F. Trimmer. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann Boynton/Cook, 1997, 71-83.
Short Essays and Comments
- “Why Murray Matters,” Writing On the Edge, Spring 2009.
- “Donald Murray: An Appreciation,” College Composition and Communication 58 (2007): 546-549.
- “10 Tips For Writing a Successful College Admissions Essay,” Teen Ink, September 2006.