John L. Mahoney
thomas f. rattigan professor emeritus
Ph.D., Harvard University
Office: Stokes Hall South
Thomas F. Rattigan Chair in English Literature. A Specialist in British Enlightenment and Romantic literature.
He is the author of:
- The Logic of Passion: The Literary Criticism of William Hazlitt;
- The Whole Internal Universe: Imitation and the New Defense of Literature in British Criticism in British Criticism, 1660-1830;
- The Persistence of Tragedy: Episodes in the History of Drama;
- Wordsworth: A Poetic Life;
- Wordsworth and the Critics: The Development of a Critical Reputation.
He also edited and contributed to Coleridge, Keats, and the Imagination: Romanticism and Adam's Dream, with J. Robert Barth, S.J., and Seeing Into the Life of Things: Essays on Literature and Religion. Professor Mahoney is one of 50 Resident Members of the Johnsonians and has recently served on the Modern Language Association of America's Ad Hoc Committee on Teaching.