Ph.D. in Classical Philology
Princeton University, 1978
Courses and philosophy
General areas: Intermediate ancient Greek; advanced seminars on ancient Greek drama; lecture courses on modern Greek drama, literature and culture, including Greek films.
Specific courses: Intermediate Ancient Greek (throughout the year); Modern Greek Drama in English (Fall 2010); Euripides’ Hecuba (Fall 2010); Sophocles’ Antigone and Aristophanes’ Frogs (Spring 2011). Greece Viewed through her Films (Fall 2011). In Spring 2012, I shall be on sabbatical leave for full-time research.
In my teaching I appreciate input from dialogue with colleagues (within BC and from elsewhere) and students, interdisciplinary approaches, and the assistance of educational technology. In 2010-2011, I coordinated a new work-group of graduate students and faculty, under the title “Computers and Classics” (CCL). In May 2011, I received a Teaching with New Media (TWIN) award from Boston College. Wherever appropriate, I encourage students to pursue their own projects, in the form of research papers or artistic expression coupled with oral and written presentation.
I have recently served as Faculty Technology Coordinator and as Graduate Program Director.
Ancient Greek tragedy; Cretan Renaissance and subsequent modern Greek literature; style, metrics ~ rhyme; (computer-assisted) literary and linguistic analysis of texts; Digital Humanities.
- The Iambic Trimeter of Euripides: Selected Plays. New York: Arno Press, 1981.
- Η Θυσία του Αβραάμ στον υπολογιστή / The Sacrifice of Abraham on the Computer. Athens: Hermes Publications, 1986.
- CENSUS of Modern Greek Literature: Check-list of English-Language Sources Useful in the Study of Modern Greek Literature (1824-1987). New Haven, CT: Modern Greek Studies Association, 1990. Second printing 1992.
- Του κύκλου τα γυρίσματα: ο Ερωτόκριτος σε ηλεκτρονική ανάλυση (As the Wheel Spins: Electronic Analysis of the Erotokritos). With David Holton and the technical assistance of John L. Dawson. 4 vols. Athens: Hermes Publications, 1996-2001.
Mainly on the literary and linguistic analysis of Cretan Renaissance literature (list available upon request).
- ΕΡΩΤΟΚΡΙΤΟΣ: Του δίσκου τα γυρίσματα / EROTOKRITOS: As the Disk Turns. With David Holton and John L. Dawson. Athens: Hermes Publications. A CD-ROM, based on the book Του κύκλου τα γυρίσματα: ο Ερωτόκριτος σε ηλεκτρονική ανάλυση, with the addition of approximately 1 million links. The CD-ROM will include the (slightly modified) text of Stylianos Alexiou’s critical edition of the Erotokritos (Vitsentzos Kornaros' romance from the Cretan Renaissance).
- CENSUS of Modern Greek Literature: Check-list of English-Language Sources Useful in the Study of Modern Greek Literature Update (1824-2005). With W.F. Bakker. A revised, enlarged edition of the work-of-reference originally published in 1990. The compilation continues to today, and is expected to be published in a 2nd edition in print form and subsequently in electronic format as a fully searchable database that will be maintained on the web.