Recommended Course Sequencing for Biochemistry Majors
- General Chemistry 1 & 2 with Labs
- BI 200 (Molecules & Cells) and either BI 201 (Ecology & Evolution) or BI 303 (Introduction to Physiology)
- BI 204 lab (if possible)
- Organic Chemistry 1 & 2 with Labs
- One course from the cell biology list
- One course from the genetics/genomics list
- BI 204 lab (if needed)
- Biochemistry sequence (either CH 561-562 or BI 435-BI 440)
- Analytical Chemistry and Lab
- Physical Chemistry
- Two Advanced Electives
NOTES ABOUT COURSE SEQUENCING
- Advanced Placement: Biochemistry majors who have a 5 on the AP Biology exam in their senior year may elect to begin the major with BI 304 Cell Biology and take an additional course from the Advanced Elective list (total of three advanced electives).
- Calculus is typically completed by the end of Sophomore year.
- Physics can be taken at any time beginning with the Sophomore year.
- Students are encouraged to participate in Undergraduate Research, typically beginning in the Junior year; other options are available.; Students should speak to individual professors regarding research opportunities.