Welcome to the Center for International Higher Education Website
The Center for International Higher Education defines its mission to be advancing knowledge about the complex realities of higher education in the contemporary world.
The Center has developed several areas of activity. This website contains detailed information concerning our work:
- International Higher Education (IHE). Our flagship quarterly publication features analysis and reports about key issues in higher education worldwide. The current issue is featured on the website. A comprehensive subject and author index permits easy access to all past articles.
- Center-related books and publications. The Center publishes books and other publications linked to its research and other activities. Some of these publications are web based and accessible on this website. Others are available without cost to readers in developing countries. Most of our publications are also obtainable for sale from publishers.
- International newsfeeds on Twitter and Facebook. The CIHE team posts items from a broad range of international media to our Twitter and Facebook page. We inlude news items from Chronicle of Higher Education, Inside Higher Education, Unversity World News, Times Higher Education, the Guardian Higher Education in UK, the Times of India, the Korea Times, to name a few. Unlike most Twitter and Facebook sites, our pages are not about us, but rather "newsfeeds" updated daily with notices most relevant to international educators and practitioners, policymakers, and decision makers. Please "Follow" us on Twitter, and "Like" us on Facebook!
- The International Network for Higher Education in Africa (INHEA), is a clearinghouse for institutions and individuals engaged in research, development, and advocacy activities related to postsecondary education in Africa. The purpose of this network is to strengthen and foster interest in African higher education and support research through provision of up-to-date and relevant information.
- Cross-border Higher Education (CBHE). The Center for International Higher Education at Boston College and the Cross-Border Education Research Team (C-BERT) at the State University of New York at Albany created this site as a resource for educators interested in cross-border news and research. Under the umbrella of cross-border higher education we include the following: twinning, franchises, dual- and joint-degree programs, international branch campuses, research partnerships and other instances of higher education collaboration crossing national boundaries.
- Higher Education Corruption Monitor (HECM). Growing demand for access, dramatic increase in private higher education providers, the marketization of many aspects of higher education, and the financial problems faced by institutions have all contributed to a variety of corrupt practices. Academic corruption can be found in all countries, but is most prevalent in countries facing severe economic hardships and corruption in the broader society. The primary goal of the HECM is to provide information from sources around the world and includes: a selection of news articles, an annotated bibliography of book chapters, articles, reports, policy papers, and conference materials; links to other agencies, institutions, and organizations that deal with corruption in higher education.
- CIHE Podcasts. The CIHE Podcast Initiative brings the opinions, ideas, and voices of key thinkers and leaders in higher education worldwide to a global audience. Our interviews cover a wide range of topics of interest to students, scholars, policymakers, and practitioners active in international higher education. The informal interview approach allows for a spontaneous exploration of issues that is not possible in an article or chapter, and adds an important human dimension to the themes under discussion. We archive all of the podcasts for easy accessibility, and welcome suggestions for guests and topics.
The Center for International Higher Education promotes the belief that an international perspective will foster enlightened policies and practices. To this end, the Center publishes International Higher Education, a book series on higher education, as well as other publications. The Center sponsors occasional conferences on key issues in higher education and engages in research on higher education in international perspective. We welcome visiting scholars for periods of study and reflection. The Center has a special interest in academic institutions in the Jesuit tradition and more broadly for Catholic higher education. We are also committed to dialogue and cooperation among academic institutions in industrialized nations and in developing countries. We are convinced that the future of higher education depends on effective collaboration and the creation of an international community working to improve higher education in the public interest.
The Center is closely associated with the program in higher education administration at Boston College, which offers master's and doctoral degree study in the field of higher education. The program has been preparing professionals, analysts, and researchers in higher education for more than three decades. It features a rigorous social science-based approach to the study of higher education, combining a concern with the broader theoretical issues and an understanding of the practice of academic administration. The Center and the program in higher education are housed in the Lynch School of Education at Boston College. LSOE is currently ranked in the top 20 schools of education in the United States.
The Center is supported by core grants from the Ford Foundation and by the Lynch School of Education and the Monan Chair at Boston College. Additional funding has come from the Toyota Foundation, the MacArthur Foundation, the Rockefeller Foundation, the Carnegie Corporation of New York, the Council for the International Exchange of Scholars (Fulbright Program), and anonymous funders.