What is Bystander Intervention?
Bystander Intervention is a sexual assault prevention program that focuses on the importance of prosocial bystander behaviors. The program seeks to empower Boston College students to stand up and speak out to prevent instances of rape and sexual assault from occurring.
Through peer-led presentations, the Bystander Intervention program seeks to
- address the multiple aspects of sexual violence
- identify the role of bystanders in preventing situations that may lead to sexual violence
- encourage the development of safe and effective plans to combat situations that could lead to sexual violence
- discuss the difference between appropriate and inappropriate behaviors, jokes, and images
- familiarize students with the role of professional bystanders and on-campus resources
- encourage students to create and execute plans if situations arise that merit action