If you are receiving or applying for an employment-related deferment or cancellation benefit, you are required to use Boston College forms, which may be obtained from the links below. If you have questions or concerns about cancellation and deferment benefits that relate to your employment, please contact Boston College directly at 1-800-294-0294.
For more information, visit the Federal Student Aid website.
To be eligible for this type of yearly partial cancellation, the borrower must be:
- teaching full-time for a full academic year or two semesters which are complete and consecutive and that generally fall within a twelve-month period,
- teaching full-time in a public or other non-profit elementary or secondary school system and be directly employed by the school system (educational programs below grade one may be included if they are part of the state's elementary education program),
- teaching full-time in the fields of mathematics, science, foreign languages or bilingual education, or any other "field of expertise" that is determined by a state education agency to have a shortage of qualified teachers in that state. The majority of the classes being taught must be in the borrower's field of expertise.
A borrower who is teaching in science, mathematics, foreign language, or bilingual education qualifies for cancellation even if the state has not designated the subject area in which he or she is teaching as a shortage area.
- 15% of the original principal amount for each of the first and second full years of employment;
- 20% of the original principal amount for each of the third and fourth full years of employment; and
- 30% of the original principal amount for the fifth full year of employment.
- Borrower must apply for deferment and cancellation by obtaining the specific cancellation forms from Boston College.
- Borrower must provide employment verification; proof of license, registration, or certification; and any other documentation that the school requests to show that he or she qualifies for cancellation.
- Forms must be submitted by the deadlines established by Boston College.
- None of the loan may be cancelled for services performed either before the date the loan was disbursed or during the enrollment period covered by the loan.
- Defaulted loan amounts are not eligible for cancellation. Only cancellations for time prior to acceleration will be allowed.
- No repayments made by a borrower during a period for which the borrower qualified for cancellation may be refunded.
Download a Teaching Cancellation (Shortage Areas) form (PDF).