Nurse, Medical Technician, and Allied Health Profession Cancellation
If you are receiving or applying for an employment-related deferment or cancellation benefit, you are required to use Boston College forms, which may be obtained from the links below. If you have questions or concerns about cancellation and deferment benefits that relate to your employment, please contact Boston College directly at 1-800-294-0294.
This cancellation applies to all Federal Perkins Loans and National Direct Student Loans (NDSL) made on or after July 23, 1992. It also applies to National Direct Student Loans made prior to July 23, 1992; however, it applies to these loans only for work or service performed on or after October 7, 1998.
To be considered eligible for this type of yearly partial cancellation, the borrower must be employed full-time as a nurse or medical technician providing health care services for twelve consecutive months.
- Nurse: A licensed practical nurse, registered nurse, or other individual who is licensed by the appropriate state agency to provide nursing services.
- Medical Technician: An allied health professional (working in fields such as therapy, dental hygiene, medical technology, or nutrition) who is certified, registered, or licensed by the appropriate state agency in the state in which he or she provides health care services.
- Allied Health Professional: Someone who assists, facilitates, or complements the work of physicians and other specialists in the health care system.
|The American Medical Association considers the following to be allied health professions:|
- 15% of the original principal amount for each of the first and second full years of employment;
- 20% of the original principal amount for each of the third and fourth full years of employment; and
- 30% of the original principal amount for the fifth full year of employment.
- Borrower must apply for deferment and cancellation by obtaining the specific cancellation forms from Boston College.
- Borrower must provide employment verification; proof of license, registration, or certification; and any other documentation that the school requests to show that he or she qualifies for cancellation.
- Forms must be submitted by the deadlines established by Boston College.
- None of the loan may be cancelled for services performed either before the date the loan was disbursed or during the enrollment period covered by the loan.
- Defaulted loan amounts are not eligible for cancellation. Only cancellations for time prior to acceleration will be allowed.
- No repayments made by a borrower during a period for which the borrower qualified for cancellation may be refunded.