Child and Family Services Cancellation
If you are receiving or applying for an employment-related deferment or cancellation benefit, you are required to use Boston College forms which may be obtained from the links below. If you have questions or concerns about cancellation and deferment benefits that relate to your employment, please contact Boston College directly at 1-800-294-0294.
This cancellation applies to all Federal Perkins Loans and National Direct Student Loans (NDSL) made on or after July 23, 1992. It also applies to National Direct Student Loans made prior to July 23, 1992; however, it applies to these loans only for work or service performed on or after October 7, 1998.
To be considered eligible for this type of yearly partial cancellation, the borrower must be employed full-time in an eligible public or private non-profit child or family service agency for twelve consecutive months. The borrower must be providing or supervising the provision of services only to high-risk children who are from low-income communities and the families of these children. Borrowers may be providing services to adults only if they are members of the child's family and only if the services are secondary to the services provided to the high-risk children.
High-Risk Children: Individuals under the age of 21 who are low-income or at risk of abuse or neglect; have been abused or neglected; have serious emotional, mental, or behavioral disturbances; reside in placements outside their homes; or are involved in the juvenile justice system.
Low-Income Communities: A community in which there is a high concentration of children eligible to be counted under Chapter 1 of Title 1 of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965, as amended.
- 15% of the original principal amount for each of the first and second full years of employment;
- 20% of the original principal amount for each of the third and fourth full years of employment; and
- 30% of the original principal amount for the fifth full year of employment.
- Borrower must apply for deferment and cancellation by obtaining the specific cancellation forms from Boston College.
- Borrower must provide employment verification; proof of license, registration, or certification; and any other documentation that the school requests to show that he or she qualifies for cancellation.
- Forms must be submitted by the deadlines established by Boston College.
- None of the loan may be cancelled for services performed either before the date the loan was disbursed or during the enrollment period covered by the loan.
- Defaulted loan amounts are not eligible for cancellation. Only cancellations for time prior to acceleration will be allowed.
- No repayments made by a borrower during a period for which the borrower qualified for cancellation may be refunded.
Download a Child and Family Services Cancellation form (PDF).