Winter Break Closing Information
office of residential life
We ask that you read the following information carefully and make travel and check-out plans accordingly. Please note: Many changes were made for the 2014-2015 academic year to simplify and clarify procedures.
Winter Break Closing Procedures
|Leave of Absence or Withdrawal
Winter Break Check-out Procedures
Plan ahead — make travel plans now!! Semester break officially begins 24 hours after your last exam or no later than 5:00 p.m. on Saturday, December 20, 2014 whichever comes first. All residents are required to vacate the residence halls by 5:00 p.m. on Saturday, December 20, 2014.
Students will not be permitted to enter their residence hall room for any reason over the winter break. Students returning early for service trips, athletics, etc. may not stay in their academic year room and so should therefore do the same. Please remember to pack all items necessary for the entire break, including the following items:
- Clothing (winter or summer)
- Airline tickets
If your room has a vacant space when you leave for the holiday break, you may receive a new or returning student as your roommate for the Spring semester. The Office of Residential Life expects student rooms to be clean and welcoming to a new roommate. Any residents involved in deliberately discouraging or rejecting a fellow student who is assigned to a vacancy will be reassigned or possibly dismissed from housing. All rooms with vacancies at semester’s end will be inspected by your Resident Director by Saturday, December 20, 2014.
Twenty-four-hour Quiet Hours will begin in all residence halls, including apartments, on Wednesday, December 10, 2014 at 10:00 p.m. This policy will remain in effect until Saturday, December 20, 2014 at noon when all final exams are over. Please show consideration for others during this final-exam period.
No parties will be registered after Saturday, December 6, 2014. Regular party registration will resume Friday, January 16, 2015.
In accordance with the Fire Prevention Codes for the Cities of Newton and Boston, the following stipulations are necessary in all residence halls:
- Flammable decorations of any kind, including live trees, are not permitted within the residence halls or apartments.
- Use of artificial trees is permitted as long as they are flame retardant.
- Only UL-approved decorative lights are permitted but must be taken down before Saturday, December 20, 2014.
- Decorations are not to be hung from any residence hall window.
- No more than 25% of your room or suite door may be decorated.
- Students are liable for all damages resulting from the negligent placement of holiday decorations in their room or common areas of their residence halls.
- Hallways are the only means of egress in emergencies. The use of lights and flammable materials are prohibited in all hallways, stairwells, and common areas, as well as the outside of room or apartment doors.
All roommates should ensure that the following procedures are completed prior to departure by initialing and dating the Winter Break Closing Procedures Check-list. The last person to leave the room/suite/apartment should tape the checklist to the main door, with each completed item checked off. Failure to complete any steps may result in fines and/or fees charged to your student account. A member of the residential life office will review your room after your departure, and your account will be billed for any excessive trash or damages found.
All residents not returning to campus for the Spring semester are required to complete the following procedures in addition to the Winter Break Check-out Procedures by 5:00 p.m. on December 20.
Carefully pack all items necessary for the entire break, including passport, medication, house keys, etc. You will not be able to access your room during the break. Take all valuables with you. Boston College is not liable for the security of these items.
- Remove all holiday lights.
- Remove all plants and perishable items.
- Refrigerators should be cleaned and perishable items removed. Do not defrost or disconnect refrigerators.
- Clean all areas of the room, suite, or apartment.
- Bag and remove all trash from the room (take to trash room if applicable).
- Disconnect all electrical appliances, including chargers, TVs, computers, printers, stereos, and surge protectors. (One exception: refrigerator.)
- Make sure all red window tabs are still connected. If a tab is missing or broken, please contact your Resident Director.
- Close and lock all windows and doors. If you live in the Modular Apartments and need window sticks for securing windows and sliding doors, please submit a Work Order online or call the Work Order Center at Ext. 2-3048 by Monday, December 1, 2014.
- Do not turn off the heat. Ensure that the heat is on and that no roommate has turned it off.
- Turn off all lights.
- Bottom kitchen cabinets in the Mods need to be opened.
- Complete and attach the Winter Break Closing Procedures Checklist to the front door of the room, suite, or apartment.
If you are not planning to return to the halls for the Spring semester, please make sure that you fill out the Leave of Absence form on the Agora Portal. The deadline for filing a Leave of Absence/Withdrawal Form (on Agora using the "My ResLife Forms" link) is Friday, December 5, 2014. If a Leave of Absence/Withdrawal Form is not filled out, the student could be automatically withdrawn from housing and forfeit all future years of housing.
Residents who are not returning to campus for the Spring semester are required to complete the Winter Break Check-out Procedures. All forms and keys must be returned to your Resident Director by 5:00 p.m. on Saturday, December 20, 2014.
Failure to complete any steps may result in fines and/or fees charged to your student account. A member of the Facilities Inspections team will review your room after your departure and your account will be billed for any excessive trash or damages found.
(For students not returning in the Spring)
- Make an appointment with your Resident Assistant or your hall's Resident Director to check out between December 10th and 18th.
- Clear room of all personal belongings and trash (take to trash room if applicable).
- Clean room well enough so that the new resident may move in immediately.
- Restore bedroom furniture to original setup.
- Place your key (if issued one) in an envelope labeled with your name, Eagle number, hall, suite, and bedroom; then attach the envelope to this form. Your Resident Director will have key envelopes for your convenience.
- Meet with your RA or RD to physically check your room and ensure you have completed all of the procedures correctly.
Students leaving Boston College at semester’s end are responsible for removing all personal belongings.