Hall Openings and Closings
office of residential life
Ever wonder how over 7300 students manage to move in and out of the residence halls so many times a year? Well, to be honest, it's not easy! The goal of this page is to give you — whether a student, parent, or administrator — a better understanding of the annual transition periods. Please direct all questions to email@example.com or 617-552-4727.
There are four main transitions throughout an academic year:
- Fall Opening: Takes place at the end of August through the beginning of September.
- Winter Break Closing: Takes place after finals end throughout early December. Students are not required to move their belongings out of the halls.
- Spring Opening: Takes place during early to mid-January.
- End-of-Year Closing: Takes place at the end of finals in mid-May. Students are required to move out of the halls completely.
There are also four transitions throughout the summer that overlap with the academic year. To learn more about summer housing transitions, please click here.
Early Arrivals & Extensions
- Early Arrivals: Students wishing to return to campus before the official hall opening must request and receive early arrival status.
- Extensions: Students wishing to stay on campus after the official hall closing must request and receive an extension approval.
Detailed transition period, early-arrival, and extension information and forms are published online according to the following schedule. Click on the following links to learn more about a specific transition period.
|Transition Period||Month Published|
|Winter Break Closing||November|