The purpose of the Intramural Sports program at Boston College is to provide exercise, recreation, and fun to our participants in a relaxed, yet structured environment. Intramural Sports enhance the academic experience by promoting and reinforcing teamwork and personal accomplishment, mutual respect and integrity, competition and recreation, as well as skill and exercise. Everyone is encouraged to play to the best of their abilities; however, a win-at-all-cost attitude is inappropriate and strongly discouraged. The genuine value of Intramural Sports comes from playing, not from winning.
Goals of the Intramural Sports Program
- To provide a wide range of individual and team sports at a variety of competitive and recreational levels to students, faculty and staff at Boston College.
- To provide opportunities for social contacts and the development of lasting friendships.
- To teach a respect for sportsmanship and the principles of fair play.
- To develop habits of participation that can carry over into everyday living.
- To develop physical fitness, strength, endurance, power, agility, and flexibility.
- To provide leadership and fellowship opportunities through participation.
- To provide employment opportunities and educational experiences for students to develop a commitment to lifelong learning.