News and Events
HHRC Running Shoe Clinic
Don't miss the FREE Running Shoe Clinic and Gait Analysis Monday at the Plex. Our friends (and proud BC alums) at Heartbreak Hill Running Company will watch you run for a minute on the treadmill to help identify ways to improve your running efficiency, make suggestions for the best running shoes for your foot type and more! They will also have a raffle for a $50 HHRC gift card and are offering a generous discount for BC Faculty, staff, and students during Homecoming Week (9/30-10/4). Present your BD ID at check out to save 20% on your purchase!
BC Rec Homecoming Week Spirit Days
Monday, Sept. 30 Deck the Halls Day
Vote for your favorite BC Spirit Sign hanging in the Plex lobby. You can get a sticker to vote from the student at the front desk. The signs will remain in the lobby all week and will be moved outside of the Plex on Friday prior to the Pep Rally and game.
Tuesday, October 1 Boston Shirt Day
Show your pride in Boston and its sports teams by wearing a Boston Strong shirt or your favorite team shirt/jersey/hat at the Plex.
Wednesday, October 2 Boston Music Day
We will be playing Boston-themed music all day in the fitness area and hoops wing – Use #BCRecSongRequest to make music suggestions on Facebook and Twitter! We are also organizing a BC Rec staff vs. Army ROTC fitness competition!
Thursday, October 3 BC Carnival Day
Join us on the Plex lawn from 2-5 pm for some fun and games! We will have some inflatables, lawn games, light refreshments, giveaways and more. Should be a lot of fun!
Friday, October 4 BC Colors Day
Show your BC pride by wearing your best Eagles gear. Transform the campus into a sea of maroon and gold! Don’t miss the pep rally and fireworks on Shea Field at 7:30 pm.
Other ways to get in on the fun:
- Guess how many army men are in the jar at the Plex Front Desk for a chance to win a t-shirt! One guess per person, closest guess without going over the actual number wins.
- Take a photo of you or your friends participating in any of the Homecoming events and hashtag it #BCRecPhotoContest & #HCBC on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram to be entered in a drawing for a BC prize package!
- Be on the lookout for Baldwin sightings throughout the week. He will be pumping everyone up for the big game and passing out free swag to people who aren’t afraid to show their school spirit.
For more information on all BC Homecoming events, visit www.bc.edu/homecoming.
Become An Instructor
Are you interested in becoming a group fitness instructor or personal trainer? Attend an information session this week (September 9 - 15) to learn how.
Free Masters Swim Trial
Try Masters Swim for FREE during a two-week trial September 9-19! The program is open to anyone who wants to improve their technique, train for an event, or just have a great time swimming with other motivated adults. Call 617-552-0797 or stop by the Member Services Office at the Flynn Recreation Complex to participate.
Upcoming MPR Closure
The MPR space is being painted on Friday, September 6. Because of this, the 8:30 am Buns, Guns & Abs, 12:00 pm Iyengar Yoga, 1:15 pm Barre Fitness and Saturday's 12:00 pm Vinyasa Flow Yoga classes will be cancelled. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Upcoming MPR Closure
The MPR space is being painted on Friday, September 6. Because of this, the 12:00 pm Iyengar Yoga, 1:15 pm Barre Fitness and Saturday's 12:00 pm Vinyasa Flow Yoga classes will be cancelled. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Welcome BC Class of 2017! Like/Follow BC Recreation on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or Pinterest for a chance to win a BC backpack full of gear! We will hold a random drawing on August 30 to choose our winner and have your prize ready to pick up when you get to campus in the fall! Here are the five ways you can enter to win:
1) Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/BCRecreation (one entry)
2) Follow us on Twitter: @BCRecreation (one entry)
3) Follow us on Instagram: @BCRecreation (one entry)
4) Follow our Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/bcrecreation (one entry)
5) Post a picture of you or a friend wearing a BC Rec T-Shirt on the BC Rec Facebook Wall or tweet/instagram it @BCRecreation (one entry)
Good luck! Tweet or message us if you have any questions.
July 16, 2013
This week’s forecast is calling for temperatures over 90 degrees every day. Please be careful when you workout, and drink plenty of water. Here are a couple things we are doing to help with the heat:
1) Due to the extreme conditions over the 4th of July, we had facilities evaluate the current HVAC system. They identified some units that were either off line or not at capacity. They have fixed these units and this will help with air flow in locker rooms, lobby, and fitness area. We will have facilities continue to monitor these units, so they do not go off line again.
2) We have ordered additional fans for the locker room that are arriving Tuesday to help move the air around.
3) We will place water stations in the upper and lower area of fitness, along with the air conditioned cardio room.
4) We will monitor temperature and humidity, and may close the fitness area or other spaces if it becomes unsafe to work out in.
For this week only, due to the 90 plus forecast all week, we have moved our schedule and staffing around to open up additional air conditioned spaces. They will only be open this week, and we will return to normal schedule hours next week.
A) MPR A and B will be open at all times outside of classes, so you can stretch in an air conditioned space. We will place mats in the room. Please do not bring weights or any other equipment in that area, since it is not staffed. Times it is not available include Monday - Thursday 3-5pm, and during group fitness classes.
B) The air-conditioned cycle room will be open at all times this week outside of classes. We ask you please vacate the space when an instructor arrives to teach class.
If you haven’t checked out the renovated pool, this is a perfect week to jump in! A swim before or after your workout will be a great way to cool down for the rest of the day. Check the Pool Hours page for a full schedule.
Please let us know if you have any other suggestions. Thanks for your patience as we work thru this hot week.
Director, Campus Recreation