Student Athlete Advisory Committee
Boston College SAAC (Student-Athlete Advisory Committee)
Comprised of more than 60 Boston College student-athletes, the Student-Athlete Advisory
Committee became a vibrant part of the athletic department in 2003. BC’s SAAC aims carry on the Jesuit tradition of service to others. Student-athletes bring joy to the lives of many children by making frequent and spirited visits to nearby Franciscan Hospital for Children as well as Boston Children’s Hospital. Additionally, the SAAC organizes monthly donations to the local chapter of Food For Families, helping hundreds of local families year-round, and hosts annual food and clothing drives. Around the holiday season, the SAAC, with the help of all 31 varsity athletic teams, provides gifts for needy children.
Working in conjunction with former BC baseball coach Mo Maloney, SAAC members are active in the HEAR – Helping Educate through Athletic Responsibility – program, a group that brings student-athletes into area elementary and middle schools to discuss life choices. The SAAC helps coordinate the PenPal Program, which matches BC student-athletes with local school children. The SAAC annually sponsors a First-Year Orientation for incoming student-athletes in conjunction with the annual “Welcome Back Picnic” for all returning student-athletes as well as speakers of campus-wide interest. In 2006, the SAAC raised more than $500 to be donated the Doug Flutie, Jr. foundation for autism, inc. The SAAC also offers student-athletes at Boston College the opportunity to review and offer input on Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) and National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) activities, policies and proposed legislation. The SAAC distributes two annual awards, the Richard “Mo” Maloney Award for Community Service, presented to the male and female student-athlete who has utilized their talents and abilities in service to others, and the Ignatian Service Award presented to the team whose spirit and action best exemplify the Jesuit principle of cura personalis (case for the individual). The chosen team has excelled in utilizing the combined talents, abilities and generous spirit of its members for the service of others.
Boston College SAAC Mission Statement
The mission for our committee is to positively influence the student-athlete experience at Boston College. We will strive to:
- Promote communication between the athletic administration and student-athletes by addressing issues effecting student-athlete welfare.
- Provide NCAA legislation information to student-athletes concerning new rules and eligibility changes.
- Build a community within the athletic program involving all student-athletes.
- Be recognized as active members of the community through service-oriented events and projects.
- Give back to the community, with a special emphasis on influencing young children. We are fortunate to be student-athletes at Boston College and are grateful for the opportunity to strengthen the community.
- Provide a greater playing atmosphere through the enhancement of school spirit. Our committee must let the student body understand that our quality of play is enhanced by their presence at all events.
Boston College SAAC Events: COMING SOON!!!