Get Started With Your Computer at BC
apple and windows computers
On this page:
When you first start up your computer, you will be asked to create a username and password for the Administrator account on your computer. Please remember your username and password! You'll need them to log into your computer.
Get BC's required anti-virus software for free at: www.bc.edu/virus
Important: All computers on the BC network must be running BC's required anti-virus software. You must uninstall other anti-virus software before installing BC’s anti-virus.
Make sure your computer is up-to-date with any Mac or Windows software updates released by Apple or Microsoft. You should automatically be prompted to update your computer. If you are not prompted, do the following:
- Mac: From the Apple menu, select Software Update.
- Windows: Click the Start button, click All Programs, and then click Windows Update.
Windows Note: Learn when Windows “Home” versions are not recommended at BC at: www.bc.edu/winhome
If you don't already have it, install Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook) for free from the Software Download site.
Make sure to keep all of the items included with your computer, including the Ethernet cable, System Disks, and Recovery Disks with your computer and bring them with you to Boston College. You may need them at some point.
To make sure you don't lose important files if your computer stops working, you should back up your computer on a regular basis. The easiest way to do this is to use an online service (to find one, search for: “online backup services”) that will do it automatically for you. You can also use an external hard drive or the BC MyFiles@bc service at www.bc.edu/myfiles. Learn more at: www.bc.edu/backup
- Log in to the Agora Portal (the BC Intranet): http://portal.bc.edu
- Log in to BC Gmail (g.bc.edu) using the format email@example.com and your Password 2.
- Learn how to configure your favorite email software (ex. Apple Mail or Outlook) to get your BC email: www.bc.edu/email
- Learn how to connect to the BC Network:
- Secure Wireless (BC sign-in required)
- Get more technology help and documentation at: www.bc.edu/help